The Year of Yes - Part 3

Saying yes to the end

March 2023

The stadium lights are bright. The Super Bowl banners that still hang around the perimeter are even brighter.

"The folks from the stadium said those will be coming down by Friday," her mom chimes in from beside her.

"No worries, Dad will be excited to take photos of the Eagles ones, won't he?"

Her mom laughs, "Definitely. Though he's probably still mad about the loss."

"The stage looks amazing. I can't wait to see it when they test the lights and effects."

Every day, more of the tour comes to life, and Taylor steadily grows more excited for the first show date to arrive.

"It's all coming together, honey," Andrea says as she leans into Taylor's side. "Are you ready?"

"I am," she nods.

And she really is. These past couple of months have been some of the hardest of her life. But she feels like she's finally growing up. Finally coming into herself. She's nowhere close to knowing what the fuck she's doing, but it feels like something.

She just has to be brave enough to let go of one more thing standing in her way.

Her mom puts her hand on her shoulder, pulling her back from her thoughts.

"Where are you?" she questions.

"I'm here. I promise. I'm just thinking about the things I need to finish up for the 17th, what I need to do to get my head in the game." She tries to smile at her mom but swallows hard, feeling the nerves that have never left her since she's made up her mind. Just because she feels like a grown-up now doesn't mean it is easy.

"Sweetheart, I know it's not really my place," Andrea starts, looking unsettled.

"Mom," she interrupts. It's not that she doesn't want to have the conversation. It's more that they're having it here.

"No, I know," she says, shaking her head. "I just want you to know that whatever that is, I'm here."

She pauses. Taylor can tell she's debating whether or not to say what comes next. She hates that they've reached the point where her mom is worried about being able to say something to her. They've always been able to say whatever they needed to say to each other, good or bad.

"Please, Mom...say it," she pleads, suddenly not caring who might overhear.

The older woman looks at her, really looks at her. Taylor isn't sure what she sees. She's almost embarrassed to know what her mom thinks about her right now. What her entire family has thought about these past two years.

"Don't stay because you're afraid of being alone, Taylor," she says firmly but gently. "Because you'll find yourself years from now wishing you'd done it sooner."

She can't look away from her mom. Not when she knows she is speaking from experience.

"I won't. I'm not," she says, finally revealing the confidence in her voice that has been missing for some time.

"I know you feel like he was there when no one else was. But that stopped being true years ago. And you deserve someone who is going to be there when you're the biggest and best thing in the room just as much. You deserve someone willing to shout it from the rooftops."

Andrea cups her cheek, keeping their eyes locked.

"Remember, he is not the sun. You are."

With that, her mom walks away to talk to one of the stage managers. Taylor looks down, hoping no one sees the single tear that drips down her face and onto the stage—the stage that will carry her for the next two years across the globe. That will take her back to the one place where she never feels alone or like she's too much—at home with the fans.

She's ready to be the sun.

She reaches into her back pocket to remove her phone and types the words that will change her life forever.

We need to talk.

Hitting send, she walks off stage. Past the bright stadium lights, past the vivid reds and golds and greens, and the gleaming silver trophies shining on banners all around her, out into the bright golden Arizona sun.

To start the next chapter of her life. 

Authors Note: "Remember, he is not the sun. You are." is directly taken from the "Year of Yes." But more than that, it's a quote from Cristina Yang's last scene in Grey's Anatomy, which just seems appropriate for our Grey's loving girl.