Chapter 5

I have been sitting on the ground for a few hours now

I have been sitting on the ground for a few hours now. Hadley left a little ago to go to her next class. She offered to stay with me, but I told her I would be fine even though that was a lie. I have no energy to get up; I feel so empty inside. The memories have flooded my brain since I got back from class. I have been thinking about my childhood with Hayden, who has had my heart since I was 5. I also started thinking about my childhood after he left when my life changed at 14. This time in my life will forever haunt me, and I can never speak of it ever. People will think I am weak and will always tiptoe around me.

Speaking of my awful past, my dad tried to contact me yesterday. It was more like threatening me to come home, or he would kill me. I don't doubt he would do it; he is crazy. I didn't answer him, though. Instead, I blocked and deleted his number.

I looked at my phone and saw it was already 10:45 a.m., and I had class in 15 minutes. This class is Chemistry, which I am excited about because I am good at science. I have three classes back to back, so I will be back at 2:30, and then I will be done for the day. I get up from the floor and go to the bathroom to touch up my mascara. After I checked that I looked presentable, I grabbed my bag and headed out the door. I get to my Chem class, and yet again, there he is. Because this is a big auditorium, I can sit far away from them, but I keep thinking about him throughout the class.

The class was so boring, but it was fun because I was getting excited about what was to come; right when class was over, I got up and headed to my next class. This is the first-year seminar, where they give you helpful types for the first year. Thankfully, Hayden is not in this class so that I can breathe for this class. The next class was Anatomy and Physiology, and we just went through what we would be doing for the semester; the class ended earlier. I returned to the dorms and waited for Hadley to leave class.

************

Hadley walked into the door a few minutes ago and told me to get ready because we were going to a football game. I told her I would go because I had nothing better to do, and there was no homework. It is a Friday night, so that most students will be at this game, and the frat party will follow afterward. I don't want to attend the party, but Hadley said to see where the night takes us. We decided to eat before, so we had to leave at 4:30, giving me 30 minutes to prepare.

I put on my Bridgewater State hoodie over my t-shirt that I had on earlier. I grabbed some jeans that weren't holes because it was getting cold at night. I bent down to grab the shoes that I was going to wear, which were my fluffy boots when pain shot throughout my ribs, and I fell to the ground. I had forgotten about it because I hadn't felt it all day. Yes, they were still pretty bruised this morning, but I thought that was just the outside of it. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal; I don't worry about putting makeup on it because it will be under my hoodie.

"You ready to go, Ollie?" Hadley asked.

"Give me just a second to touch up this makeup, and then we will be good," I replied. I quickly touched up my makeup and grabbed my purse, making sure I had my anxiety meds and wallet in it. I put my phone in the bag and ran out of the bedroom, locking my door on the way out.