Prologue

Olivia POV 5 Years Old

I was walking with my family home after we went to the zoo when I noticed the moving truck at the house next to our house.

"Who are they mama?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, baby. Let's go see," Mom said.

We started to walk over to the moving truck when I saw a boy around my age pop out from around the corner. I froze in place as I instantly got nervous.

"Come on, baby. Don't you want to come meet them?" my dad asked.

I snapped out of my trace and walked back to my parents. As we approached, my heart started racing. Why was I so nervous?

We walked up to the moving van and saw no one inside except the little boy. He had brown hair and bright blue eyes. I looked around for his parents and was confused about why he was the only one around. All of a sudden, the front door of the house opened, and out came what I assumed was his mom and dad. My parents went to introduce themselves, and I was left alone with the boy. I decided to introduce myself since no other kids my age were on the block.

"Hi, I'm Olivia. What is your name?" I asked.

"I'm Hayden. How old are you?" Hayden asked.

"I'm five. What about you?" I asked.

"Same. Can you help me with the rest of my stuff, and then I will show you my room?" Hayden asked.

"Yeah, sure," I said and grabbed a box.

For the rest of the day, my parents and Hayden's parents, Micheal and Amanda, get to know each other in their living room, and Hayden and I get to know each other in Hayden's room.

Hayden POV 5 Years Old

I was nervous when my parents told me I was moving to Leavenworth, Washington, from Jacksonville, Florida. I did not want to move away from all my friends. As much as I begged them not to move away from all my friends, they said to because of my dad's work. My dad works in the military, so we must move a lot. The good thing is, they said that this stay would be until I graduate high school. I wish I didn't believe them...

We drove 43 hours to our new house, and when we got there, I was surprised. It was a lovely house and looked like a pretty good neighborhood. I hope there are some kids around my age so I can hang out with them. My parents told me to get the boxes for my room. I was in the moving truck when I saw a girl around my age with blonde hair and the prettiest brown eyes. I got nervous and couldn't say anything, but I started talking immediately when her parents, Adam and Sarah, left to speak to my parents.

I took her to my new room, and she helped me organize my stuff there. I immediately knew we were going to be best friends.

Olivia POV 10 Years Old

Hayden and I have been best friends for five years, and we are walking to school to start the first day of fifth grade. I told him about the new shoes I had just bought. I noticed he was talking a lot, and it was starting to worry me. He is usually very talkative, and we always have things to discuss when we are around each other.

"Hay, are you feeling okay?" I asked. "You look a little pale."

"Yeah, I am fine; my head just hurts," Hay said.

"Alright, we can get you some medicine when we get to school at the nursing office," I said.

"Yeah, I can..." he trailed off while talking.

Before I could ever comprehend what was happening, Hayden was on the ground, unconscious.

"Hayden, Hayden, can you hear me?" I asked.