Chapter 14 : PUEN

I had to respect my professional obligations. I had promised my superiors that I wouldn't disappear like a ghost again. Although I was at the end of my rope, I had the strength to get dressed and eat an apple before leaving for work. Today, Julia and I were going to film a variety show. I was going to have to pretend to enjoy the presence of my colleague, ex-friend, for a few hours. When the car pulled up in front of my house, I was relieved not to see Talay. I was able to close my eyes during the journey, but I couldn't rest completely. My thoughts revolved around just one person. The anger hadn't abated. I found the situation surreal. I had imagined several scenarios, but never the possibility that he would lie to me about his return. I would never have believed him capable of such a thing. We arrived at the studio and I greeted the staff. I reached a corridor leading to the dressing rooms. I passed Niran who said hello to me. I stopped dead in front of him.

-" I know what you've been up to with Julia."

His smile melted like snow in the sun.

-" What ?"

I moved closer to him so that he was the only one who could hear me.

- "I know you orchestrated the scandal. From now on, stay away from me. Don't talk to me again. Cross me once and I'll have you fired. Your job is in my hands. You'll understand what it's like to play with people's lives." I threatened.

He shook his head frantically, looking at me.

- "Julia forced me..."

- "Spare me your bullshit. I don't know what you've been up to other than this scandal..."

I glared at him one last time and went to my dressing room. I took my place in front of the mirror, holding my head in my hands. I had a fucking headache. I should take another pill before the show starts.

- "You look tired."

I looked up with a start. I met Talay's gaze in the mirror. I turned around a little too quickly and my head spun a little. He was sitting on a chair in the corner of the room.

-" What are you doing here?"

-" I'm your manager."

He tried a smile that disappeared in the face of my coldness.

- "I thought you were going to quit this job now that I'd found you out."

- "Found me out? You talk about me as if I was a delinquent."

I raised an eyebrow.

-" You're a fraud. You made me believe you weren't the real you."

He stood up and paced in my direction. When I shook my head, he stopped.

- "I wanted to tell you to your face that I'm sorry. I came to your apartment several times, but you wouldn't let me in."

One day he stood outside my door for two hours calling me until a neighbor chased him away, threatening to call the police.

-" Does that surprise you?"

- "No. I've been dreading this moment. I wish it hadn't happened like this."

- "What would you have preferred? Did you want to lie to me for months or years?"

- "I thought we could just be friends or... not tell you."

-" Wow! Bravo!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands. "Just when I thought you couldn't get any crueler."

- "If I told the truth, you'd suffer more. So I was counting on the fact that you'd eventually forget me and move on."