Gayle

I don’t know if I will ever be a morning person, no matter what my life looks like. I peel my eyes open and groan as the light streams in the window and I attempt to burrow under the covers. I am definitely going to ask Violet for tips on how to be more excited about waking up in the morning. I remember Garrick rolling out of the bed when it was still truly dark out, and kissing me goodbye as he heads out to pick up Gayle. I stretch out my sore limbs, groaning at the relief I feel inching its way into the tight muscles. My goal for today is to stay busy, keep my mind off of the fact that Garrick is out there possibly in danger. I need to get used to it, he told me as he crawled into bed last night that he and Xaden will both head opposite shifted teams doing supply runs. 

      When I can no longer hide under the covers and I feel my stomach attempting to eat itself, I head down to the large dining room. If I am being honest, I hope that I have waited long enough that the room will be mostly quiet. I’ve had enough contact with people here lately and I just want to breakfast with my own thoughts for once.  Thankfully, there is no one in the dining room but Violet’s sister Mira when I enter. Her resting bitch face probably ran every one off and I am more than grateful for that.

     She turns to me when I enter, “Stragglers don’t have much of a choice for breakfast.” She nods her head in the direction of a small buffet table against the far wall with some rolls and scraps still on it.
“I’m not picky,” I say casually, walking over to the plate of food and grabbing two rolls and some dried meat and cheese.
“That’s a good quality to have.” Mira says, “Especially with everything so up in the air right now.”
I want to ask her more questions about that last statement, but she leans over the book in front of her and it is obviously a conversation ending movement. I don’t blame her. Two days here at Riorson house and I am feeling claustrophobic. There are always people everywhere, and according to Garrick more are coming.

      I fully embrace my rare quiet meal and mentally run through everything I was able to bring with me from Basgaith while I nibble on my roll and meat. I would love some fresh food, a nice bowl of mixed salads like my mother used to serve us before our last meal, or a beautiful piece of sweet fruit. I told Garrick last night that I really hoped once some of the local farms started producing that we would have access to more fresh produce, and less salted and preserved foods. Until then though, I rip another bite of sausage off the chunk in my hand and try to pretend that it is a carrot. I swear, nothing crunches here.

       I spend the afternoon in the courtyard, helping my squad under Rhiannon’s direction sort through all of the materials we have managed to bring to Aretia. I roll my eyes as we help Ridoc sort his rucksack, for whatever reason the boy thought it was smart to bring a bunch of useless Navarrian uniform tops.
“I thought maybe we might need to go undercover!” Ridoc tries to defend himself as Rhiannon rips the tops into fabric shreds and tosses them in Sawyer’s direction. “Here, see if the kitchen can make some bandages or rags.”
“Look, in my defense I’m not great under pressure, ya know? Everyone was running and yelling, and I panicked. I just grabbed shit.” Ridoc proclaims, running his hand over his face in shame.
“Hey, it’s fine. I’m sure that we need bandages.” I tell Ridoc, trying to make him feel better. He gives me a shy smile in appreciation.

     Spending time with my squad always makes time fly, and before I know it I notice Chradh circling above me in the setting sun. My heart jumps into my throat with excitement to see Garrick, and nerves about meeting Gayle. I desperately want her to like me, but I can definitely understand if she is standoffish. She has never met me, and I don’t know what her relationship with her brother has been like in the last years since the rebellion.

        I watch Chradh land and my husband’s big, elegant body drop down to the dirt underneath him. A smaller frame slides awkwardly down to the ground behind him. I don’t know if I should go over to them or not. Before I can worry too much about it there is a flurry of motion and a young woman is barreling towards me, “Maeve?! Are you Maeve?”
Even if I didn’t know that this small ball of fireworks was Garrick’s sister, I would have guessed it. Her curly black hair is falling out of its messy ponytail and her big brown eyes are wide as she runs towards me.
“Yes. Yes, I’m Maeve.” I say with a chuckle.
Gayle throws herself at me in a giant hug, “I am so excited to meet you, oh my gosh, I’ve wanted another sister forever. Can I stay in your room? Garrick said you have even more sisters too!”

      I’m overwhelmed by this spitfire of a human being. She is the polar opposite of my calm and quiet husband. I embrace her back and make eye contact with Garrick over her shoulder. Garrick is trying hard not to smile and shrugs his shoulders at me. I pull away from my sister in law and try to answer Gayle as much as I can. “I am not sure about staying in my room, I usually sleep in Garrick’s, but we will find you a nice room you are comfortable in. And yes, I have four sisters, they aren’t here though.”
From behind me I hear Ridoc clear his throat, “Ummm, I can help her find a room. If you would like me to. I mean I think the one next to Garrick’s that was supposed to be yours is still empty, I can carry her bags.”
I turn to face Ridoc and see a look in his eyes that I hope Garrick doesn’t notice. I think Ridoc may have a thing for loud, bubbly, dark haired girls related to my husband.