Chapter 4- Bleed as one

The rays of sun hit Zack's heavy eyes once more. He groaned with annoyance and took note of his dry throat, perhaps he had inhaled too much dust? Whatever it was, he didn't care, all he wanted was to stay in the padded haven known as his bed. He was sunken into the covers and had various pillows that would cover his face. He rolled over and slammed a pillow over his head, he saw his bandaged hands- how dirty they had become.

I should get new bandages...

Naruto was up bright and early, today was the day, today he would take Zack around town and get him acquainted with his favorite ramen shop, yes, today was going to be awesome. The blond jumped out of bed and ran through his closet for something proper, he then ran to his washroom and began to ready himself. Brushed his shoulder-length hair into a low ponytail, he hated when hair got into his face- this didn't pair well with his bangs. His teeth were brushed, and he was ready to go!

He darted across the hallway; he knocked on Zack's door to no response. He knocked again a minute or so later, still no response. He decided to open the door, there he found Zack, unbandaged, his skin was covered in burns, they were unsightly to others- but for some odd reason, Naruto rather liked them. Zack still hadn't noticed him, he had to make a decision: stay and risk getting caught, or close the door and act like nothing happened?

Too late!

Suddenly, there was a blade to Naruto throat- out of instinct- he swept the persons legs and grabbed the handle of what he presumed was a dagger of some sort. He held the person's throat in a tight grip- when he came too, he saw Zack under him, looking shocked and pleased at the same time. Quickly Naruto picked himself off Zack and helped the other man up. The blonde bowed down, "I'm so sorry! I didn't know- you didn't answer the door, so I thought you were sleeping, and I promise I-"

"Shut up" The blonde froze, what...what did this idiot just say to me?

The man glared at Naruto, "I don't need apologies, I need help."

Naruto's blue eyes met his mixed ones, as if he was asking a question.

Zack went on to explain that he needed help wrapping up the bandages and that he only trusted the prince to help them- after all, they were partners. Zack was Naruto's, and Naruto was his.

Naruto walked further into the once clean room, he went into the bathroom and pulled out bandages. Zack got the hint to follow him, the man began to take off his leg bandages. Naruto sighed as he stared at Zack, "You ready? Taking the bandages off might hurt so just let me know." Glad to know he cares, Zack thought.  Zack sat down on the edge of the tub, Naruto sat between his legs, he took the bandages off with great care, his eyes focused on the blood-stained cloths that once adorned his new guard. Zack watched, weary of the foretold pain, he had been stabbed and burn and the man was not looking for more. However, the pain never came, Naruto was extremely careful with him- even humming a tune for both.

Sooner, Zack's legs and torso were wrapped up securely and he was pleased with the prince's skill. Naruto stood up and grinned at him and reached for his sweatshirt zipper- Zack did not stop him. The prince stepped closer and positioned himself to be between Zack's legs but keeping his distance. Naruto carefully unzipped the zipper, the bandages that protected Zack were now exposed. Were this any other person, Zack would have battered and beaten them in an instant, but somehow, the prince calmed him. Watching how he interacted with others, his quick wit and sharp tongue, his golden hair that complemented him, his knack for pranks and chaos was something Zack admired, and now there was another thing- his gentleness. Naruto was always on the go, always talking to people- he seemed to put up a front around other people but now- he seemed genuine. Zack felt himself blush, Damnit! I can't be thinking like this- he's the prince and I kill people!

Naruto began the same process, starting with his left arm, gently unwrapping him and reapplying bandages. "You know, I used to do this a lot when I was younger." That caught Zack off guard, made him want to ask questions but he decided not to probe. Both stayed quiet as the rest of the bandages were applied. "Thank you...your majesty."

Naruto laughed, "Please, we're partners, call me Naruto." Partners... That echoed in Zack's mind. He sees me as his equal? Zack stayed on the tub as Naruto handed him some clothes that he mindlessly took into his grasp. He observed the blonde picking up the bandages and discarding them into a trash chute, then take his old sweatpants and Sweatshirt down another chute.

Naruto turned to him with a toothy grin, "I've got plans today for us- get ready and meet me in the hallway in 15!" He said as he ran out the room, his laugh echoing in the room with Zack. The killer stood there, his heart beating abnormally fast, and his face flushed. Is this what the old man spoke about? Love? Am I in love with him?

20 minutes later and the pair were bouncing out of the castle, Zack being dragged by the blonde. His scythe dragged against the various earth lands they crossed. Naruto stopped by a shop with little nick-knacks and dragged his partner in. The shop owners grumbled saying their formalities at the smiling prince. Naruto thanked them with the same smile. Zack glared at the others and rejoiced in the shudders that followed. Naruto pointed out a small animal sculpture, a fox, he grinned as he showed it to Zack. The sculpture was painted with shades of orange and red that came together harmoniously. It was pretty, he wouldn't lie.

He watched as the blonde ran up to the counter and how the man behind it seemed to tense up. His shoulders heightened and sweat began to drip down his serious face. The prince handed him a few gold coins to which the shopkeeper's face lit up at, he happily handed the prince the fox statue and wished him well. Zack nodded at the keeper, a silent promise to keep the prince happy while he was here.

His partner grabbed his bandaged hand as they ran out the shop- Naruto was grinning ear to ear. Zack hadn't seen him so happy before, this version of Naruto made his heartbeat faster and his face heat up, but again, his bandages shielded him from prying eyes. Though it was obvious to anyone looking at the pair that Zack was extremely fond of the prince. No matter now, as he was being dragged along to another shop- this time a Ramen shop!

Naruto greeted the shop owner rather informally, "Gramps!! I have a friend now! The usual please!" The man behind the counter grinned as he leaned forward, "Extra spice for the newbie?" Naruto gave a cheeky grin and nodded eagerly.

Naruto and Zack sat down at the front of the ramen bar, Zack rested his head on his hand as he stared at the price, listening to whatever he said. A slight smile was present on his face until the prince got called out by a guard, then his joy turned to annoyance. Naruto promised he would be back soon as he walked through the door to the outside, following whoever called him out.

A young woman came out, she had held auburn hair tied back, fair skin with no signs of aging, deep brown eyes, and a typical restaurant uniform. She looked worried, "You should go with him." Zack snapped his attention to her, he grew aggressive, "What do you mean?" The woman rounded the counter and sat next to him, he faces portrayed worry, "This isn't the first time he's been called out. It happened a lot when he was younger- poor kid refuses to see the bad in anyone, even his own father." She sighed, "Most times when he was younger and they called for him...they would drag him into an alley and beat him, burn him...and worse." Her eyes met Zack's, "Please go find him. He won't fight back; he knows he'll be in trouble if he does."

Zack shot out of his seat and out of the restaurant, his footsteps heavy against the ground, his eyes darted around. Where the hell are you, Naruto? Until another voice entered his thoughts, the voice sounded weak, exasperated, Near the fir-first shop...I'm sorry.

Zack ran, he knew where to go, people parted ways as he shoved through crowds, he hears women and children scream. Until he heard pleas, someone begging another to stop...after that he didn't know what happened. All he knew was that he needed to keep Naruto safe, he was going to do that.  

WC: 1530 

A/N: I will explain what happened in the alley way in a later chapter, I felt this was getting too long lmao. Anyways I hope you enjoyed and please let me know ways I can improve.