Chapter 1.

On this particularly hot day, Raskolnikov was hidden away from his landlady, as per usual. Today was tough on him; he had been acting feverishly all throughout the evening in his exceptionally minuscule apartment. He needed something to calm himself... perhaps a glass of whiskey or vodka could help him make it past tomorrow.

At 22:30 he finally snuck away from his complex, making sure no one, especially his landlady, would see him. He walked a few blocks to his local pub in a cold sweat, taking a deep breath, and finally strolling in. He took a seat on a barstool and slouched over the table. The smell of alcohol filled his lungs and already made him feel semi-intoxicated, but it didn't matter—he craved the taste of the drinks, not the smell. He called the barkeeper over and ordered a whiskey on the rocks, who nodded and soon arrived with his drink. He loved the cold yet burning taste of the beverage and, already having one drink, was at ease and felt like he could do whatever he pleased.

He drank glass after glass, switching the types of alcohol he tasted, ending the night heavily intoxicated as he passed out on the table. No one bothered him while he was passed out, but nobody would want to help up a drunkard, for fear of them being violent. Raskolnikov enjoyed the drunken rest he could get without bother. He didn't understand this while he was out, but he slept better like this somehow. The only true downside would be the excruciating migraine he would get when he would wake up.

He felt someone touch his shoulder, and though he had barely woken up, he could see the silhouette of a man before him. He slowly got up, and, in his daze, saw a man in a strange suit that just didn't fit modern fashion. Though, this could be excused as another rich Russian showing off his wealth, but he looked off, unreal even. When he said hello in their shared language, Raskolnikov was taken aback by the strange accent, which was nothing like he had heard before. Raskolnikov slowly got out of his dreary state to stare at the man in front of him.