Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Present day

"MOMMMYYYY!!!!!" A young boy howled while clinging to Astrid's leg. "I love you!!!!!"

"And I love you too Damian but Mommy has to go to class now," Astrid said as she tried to pry the four-year-old off her leg. The boy had such a tight grip on her pant leg that she was worried she'd have to rip it to be able to get out the door.

"Damian you don't want mommy to be late for class now do you?" A voice spoke from the kitchen. A black-haired woman came into view and raised an eyebrow at the scene. "Mommy is going to get her diploma so you guys can have a better life,"

"But I love mommy," The child murmured as he kept clinging.

"And mommy loves you too but if you want to live in a bigger house later on with your own room then mommy needs to go to school." The lady bent down to take the child in her arms. "Do you understand you little gremlin?"

"Yes Auntie Heather," The boy sulked but had let go of Astrid's leg.

"Thank you, Heather," Astrid sighed. "You don't know how much I appreciate you babysitting. You're like, the best neighbour one could ask for."

"It's no problem. You know I adore kids." Heather stated with a far-off smile. Astrid, who knew Heather's situation, said nothing. "You're a good mother, Astrid, even when times are tough. At least you're out there trying to earn your GED to make a better life for you and your son. I can respect that."

"I'll be back before 11. Whatever Damian says, he's had enough sugar for today. We stopped for some ice cream after I picked him up from preschool."

"So basically don't let his puppy dog eyes fool me. Gotcha girl." Heather laughed as Astrid grabbed her coat and left.

Astrid drove her beat-up dark green Toyota Corolla to the local Rec Center where her Night school classes were being held. Normally she'd be going to the local high school but three months ago most of the school became unusable due to a freak chemical spill and classes had to be relocated until the problem was solved. She still wondered what in Odin's name even happened as the news was very vague. The Rec Center parking lot was already crowded by the time Astrid got there but luckily a spot opened up near the front.

'Finally some good luck,' Astrid thought as she got out of her car.

Classes were mundane as ever and Astrid's eyelids were drooping as the teacher droned on about something or another in her Physics class which, happily enough, was the last one for the night.

"And so the heat flow... blah blah blah.... Adiabatic... blah blah blah," Astrid was zoning out as she listened to the lecture. She wondered when her mind stopped working. She knew she knew this five years ago. She had been in AP physics for Thor's sake before she had to drop out. Maybe it was the stress of her day job, the bills that had been piling up, or her brain just conveniently going ERROR 404 when she needed it most.

Class ended shortly after, and Astrid looked at the clock on the wall-Five past ten. If she hurried home she'd be able to get a full six hours sleep before she had to be up and about again. Getting Damian's school things ready, getting herself ready for work, and maybe being able to do some of the school assignments if her son wasn't fussy.

"Miss Hofferson a word," Astrid stopped mid-step at being called by the teacher. She turned around to see Mr. Alvin raking his hand through his somewhat groomed beard while looking at her.

"Yes?" Astrid asked confused.

"Is everything alright Ms Hofferson? You haven't been participating much in class."