Chapter XV

It was cold and dark. I could feel my limbs as they floated in the air. Cold air hung around my hair, making it flow. Where was I again? All I remembered was kicking Cedar away from the cabin. I didn't want him to enter. I knew they were waiting for me. The townspeople knew I was there.

I turned my head from side to side, seeing only darkness around me. If I were in the cabin, how did I get here? In the middle of darkness, seemingly floating, I could sense others around me.

I was fighting. I remember pulling out my sword as I entered the cabin, hopelessly alone. I remember trying to fight, with blood landing on the ground as my wounds that Cedar had so carefully stitched up fell apart. I remember seeing warm green eyes staring at me, holding a heavy sword.

My limbs were heavy as I tired of raising them to see my hands. It was hard to breathe. I remember being surrounded by a circle of hatred as I prepared to take my last stand. It was at that moment that Cedar came into the cabin.

I tried to sit up. I was drowning in this water. I watched in amazement as Cedar took a deep breath and stepped into the middle of the circle, holding the sword he was supposed to kill me with.

"Please, he's human!" Someone screamed out from the depths. A warm voice filled with nothing but sadness. A voice that sounded like rain falling outside a window. A voice I had found a home in.

"Please Pine!" The voice called out my name. Panic filled my body. I had to get up. Moving my head, I saw a faint glimpse of a sword.

"Someone help him!" Cedar screamed. "He's human!"

I fought against my own body as I reached to grab the sword that shimmered in the darkness.

"Please, Pine, please." Cedar's voice was nothing but a small whisper. I could hear the tears that were spilling down his cheeks.

My finger gently brushed the tip of the blade. With all my might, I turn my body over, reaching for the sword handle. The blade slid at the touch of my palm, causing it to fall into the darkness. I felt as the waves of water pushed me downward, and I fell with the sword.

It was so bright. I could hear several people's voices around me. I was surrounded by a brilliant light that was nearly blinding. My head pounded against my skull as if it were asking to be set free from its cage.

My eyes focused on a familiar roof, one that I had seen many times before. I was back in the cabin. A small groan grew in the back of my throat as I tried to sit up. Everyone in the cabin seemed to be focused on something other than me.

A small cry came from my left. Sitting up all the way, I see all the townspeople chanting. I slowly got to my knees before finally reaching a standing pose. My vision was slightly blurry, and I could feel blood dripping down my head.

"Please." Cedar's voice echoed in the room. Blood littered the floor from when Cedar attacked that woman. I stumbled quickly over a sword that lay on the floor. My body screamed at me to lay down and give up. I pushed forward, picking up the handle, blood smearing across my hands.

"Get rid of him!" A man's voice called out. I turned my body to face the crowd of people.

Two men held Cedar by his arms. His shirt was torn down his arm, and a cut on his cheek was bleeding out. His red hair was soaked and slightly matted by what seemed to be blood and sweat. Tears fell from his face. His eyes stayed glued to the woman in front of him. She held a dagger in her right hand.

A cough shook my lungs. Everyone's heads turned towards me. Cedar's pale green eyes met mine.

"Pine!" he called out. Cedar struggled against the men holding him back. I heard his desperation and felt the panic radiating from him.