Chapter twelve:

"Are you seriously doing this?" Mason asked me, leaning against my locker in the girls changing rooms, whilst I laced my white trainers into a messy bow. No one was in here. So unless some ditzy girl walks in at the wrong time, Mason wouldn't get caught hopefully. Hopefully.

It had been put up on the main notice board, ever since I had got here, that cross country would start soon. And who else would be better to do it than someone with slightly improved speed and enhanced metabolism? No one, that's who, so I took it upon myself to do the school a favour and help them out a little by joining the team.

"Yes," I turned to my brother, putting my leg down from the bench. "I'm doing this. And I don't know why you aren't too."

He rolled his chocolate brown eyes, "We have enough on our hands as it is. I don't need to add after school curricular to the list."

I tilted my head, why does he always have to be so difficult? "I'm doing this because this is what normal people do. And I need some of that right now."

Mason crossed his arms. I winced; I had almost forgotten how...huge he had become. No longer was he the small boy I had once played tic tac toe with using sticks in the middle of the forest, no longer was he the small boy who tugged on his father's coat to grab his attention, and no longer was he just my brother. He was my protector. I knew he had taken on that title the moment that we had escaped the massacre, not that I wanted to.

There would be a day, regretfully, where Mason wouldn't be in sight, a day where I would have to fight for myself. But, today wasn't that day, and neither was tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day, or the day after that. I would never lose my brother, I promised myself. However, that doesn't mean I can't kick some ass on my own. "Ruby?" He said; sound began to come out of his lips again.

I looked up at him, blankly. Oh, God, I hadn't heard a word he said. Ah, well, he was probably going to repeat it anyways, "Mm?"

He rolled his eyes, again, and I had to tense my arm to stop the urge to hit his shoulder...was this what I was like? I made a disgusted face at the thought. Note to self: Stop rolling your eyes and crossing your arms, people may mistake you for your twin. "I said are you doing this because you want to? Or because you need a distraction?"

Suddenly, I had to look away from his eyes. The floor became somewhat interesting as I analysed it, the lines, the patterns, everything. "What's the difference?" I muttered.

Mason glanced to the floor and nodded, "Ruby, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I promise. It's just..." He took a deep breath, staring at the walls passed me, "We have spoken about mom and dad yet. It feels wrong even just thinking about them. I know you feel lonely, I feel it too. Just remember we can always leave, it doesn't have to be this way. We shouldn't get our hopes up for a pack that's just going to use us."

The bell rang out. I jumped, gasping as my ear stung. Mason held out my black sports jacket, "But, for now?" I took the fabric from his hands and zipped it on half way. Mason smirked, "Kick their asses."

"There you are!" I told the three boys walking towards me. Scott, Stiles and Isaac each wore their own track gear. There were clearly more boys than girls here, but I wasn't going to let that slow me down. I may as well have just done drugs, I was that pumped. "You're worse than me. What took you so long?"

"Danny just asked me for sex." Stiles stared at the ground in wonder. Isaac only furrowed his brows, whereas Scott snorted.

I pursed my lips, "Nice. Anyone else want to comment?"

Scott nodded ahead of us, "The twins; the ones that can combine each other, they're over there."

I tilted my head passed some guy in front of me as I noticed two guys, each with the same athletic build, strong jaws and tan skin, standing as the start line. "They're hot." Was all I said.

Isaac looked down at me, "They're evil."

"Evilness doesn't change the fact that I would so-"

"I'm telling you guys, they have nothing to do with the killings." Stiles had apparently returned from his Danny Dream Land, and began to sigh.

"Then why are they staring at me like that?" Isaac muttered, still looking curiously at the twins, just as Coach Finstock blew the whistle. I jumped from both the sound and my preparation, but everyone began running and I stayed just as Scott latched his arm onto Isaac, warning him not to do anything stupid. He nodded, "It's them."

"Isaac, wait!" Scott called. Stiles turned to us with a wide-eyed face,

"Scott, I've got to go. I have a ten percent chance of winning this thing."

"Who's the ten percent?" I asked him.

He ran a hand through his fluffy-looking hair, "You two." Stiles said matter of factly. I let out an 'oh', nodding before glancing at a retreating Isaac. I looked at Scott, who only tightened his jaw,

"What's happening?"

"Let's find out." And the three of us ran down the sandy pathway, chasing, once again, another crazed wolf.