"The Ghost Has No Home"

Start from the beginning

“Of course I do! Wouldn’t be here if I didn’t. It’s just that, I have other reasons as well. Call it… Peer pressure. Right, Uri?”

The swordsman giggled childishly, letting his tail wag behind in a gentle manner. A low, distorted wail arose from the blade.

“You’re really strange, Mr Newmaker…”

“... Come on, “Anton” is just fine.”

“Uh… Okay, Anton, you’re really strange.”

“I know, but… How so, specifically?”

“You keep talking to that pile of metal like it’s ever going to answer.”

“...”

The colossus of a blade on Anton’s back shook and buzzed menacingly. Its red, eye-like jewel locked on the boy, piercing him with its gaze.

“It does answer, actually. That “pile of metal” is nothing but a shell.”

With a flick of his hand, the massive wendingo blurred into the night, leaving behind no trace of its existence. A few amused hoots from the fowl of night arose all around, gathered into a chorus of mockery.

“The real deal’s here. Right here.”

Gently and affectionately, the man brushed his slender finger along the blade’s jewel, giving it a little tickle. It buzzed with joy and squinted.

“That’s Uri’s very soul, you know? And he’s very talkative. The armor’s just extra.”

Huffing and puffing, the boy couldn’t help but sit down for a moment, letting go of the girl’s torso. By herself, W was but a feather compared to the heaps of equipment and gear she had on her, locked away in the tactical rig’s endless pockets and pouches. Andy wiped a drop of sweat from his forehead.

“... Can we switch, Anton? I’m really not feeling all that good.”

“I know, I know. But you know we can’t. We really can’t, Andy,”

Somehow, something was telling Andy that this burden was truly his to bear and no one else’s. He let out a sight and laid on the forest’s soft floor for just a minute, closing his eyes.

His head kept spinning, even after everything had gone dark. Dark blue kaleidoscopes forming on his inner eyelids, teasing his weary, tired eyes, not letting him drift away into the land of crimson corridors and white marbles.

“... I can’t even fall asleep, Anton. Not even if I wanted to.”

“That’s right. You shouldn’t y’know? Still got one hell of a walk to… Well, walk.”

“I really want to, though…”

“Come on, Drewie…”

“Just five minutes…?”

“Five minutes is death in Kazdel, you know that!”

With a light giggle, the man laid down beside the boy, letting his massive ponytail and the sword rest right next to him. Andy opened his eyes and gazed towards the bright, night sky, finally back in its place, far above the mortal plane.