Race!

And they were off, and it's time to try out the new feature I was telling you all about last chapter. Here we go, clicking that button in three... two... one...

TWEAK'S POV

We were off, the Professor and I. He was surprisingly fast and spry for a guy old enough to have taught the Captain, and I was only semi-serious before when I claimed to have better hearing than him.

In other words, I was around ninety percent certain he was going to win this little competition Crash cooked up to humiliate me (A/N I swear I did not do this to embarrass Tweak).

There was no choice, really, but to put up the best fight I could manage and hope his endurance wasn't as good as mine. We were both adept at listening in the grasslands, running and ducking and dodging through thick bushes to chase Crash's little invention.

Wait what?

Maybe it was the fact that bunnies had better feet for running through the grassland, maybe it was the fact that I was about half of Natquik's age, but I was a slight bit ahead in the grassland. Natquik was breathing heavy and starting to slack behind. I grinned and dove for the orb, which was just ahead of her. 

And then the darn thing veered to the left, straight into the rainforest biome.

Suddenly it was fair game again, I was unsteady in the mossy new terrain, and Natquik was using his knowledge and experience of the outdoors to push ahead in this unpredictable new terrain. No, not fair game. I always hated the rainforest. Yes, I lived in the Everglades, but that was different to the thick rainforest. The orb sped ahead, over a little crop of rocks and into what looked like some sort. Duck a vine, hop over a branch, slip over some rocks and 

A

A

    A

A

      A

H

***

DASHI'S POV

I watched and cheered as Tweak streaked ahead in the grassland. Natquik had nothing on my bestie! Tweak was a good couple metres ahead of her older counterpart, and he was clearly struggling with just keeping up with Tweakster, let alone get the edge and let his hearing do his thing.

Was that really fair? As in for a hearing test? Crash was pushing it here, it looked more like an athletics track. Or maybe more of an obstacle course...

Crash's little invention zipped off into the rainforest, and suddenly Tweak was caught on her off foot. I rooted for my best friend even more as she struggled to keep up with Natquik's keen senses. She had never loved running through the jungle, much preferring to use one of her Terra-gups to speed through thick undergrowth.

Even though she was moving at several times the speed I could have managed, she still didn't seem so sure of her footing, at least not as sure as I was used to her looking. She just managed to make a turn, still lagging considerably behind Natquik, ducked a vine and...

"Tweak!" I yelled. "Ledge! Watch out!"

It was too late. I could only watch as my best friend fell off a slippery wet rock and down out of my sight. How far, I didn't know and I didn't intend to wait to find out.

Fear and concern gave me wings and speed as I fled through the thick rainforest to find out what had happened to Tweak. I was surprised to find myself accompanied by a very worried Kwazii.

Thankfully she was alright.

I glanced over at Crash, who nodded at me. He had saved her. With a wave of his hand, the orb--abandoned by Natquik and buzzing annoyingly around the tundra biome--disappeared, as did the multi-terrain surroundings, leaving all of us alone back in our seats in Crash's office, nothing different except for one strange sight.

Kwazii hugging Tweak?