Chapter 25 : The Long Night

Jack paced. There was nothing else he felt he could do but pace. His mind supplied hundreds, thousands, of questions, burning with answers that left his stomach unsettled. The harder Jack tried to supply logical answers, the angrier and more anxious he became. Jack was certain, absolutely certain, that this sick twist of fate was retribution for something he had done. What he had done, though, Jack was not sure.

Ben did not watch him walk, sitting on a nearby bench in the square; he could sense Jack's presence despite this. Eyes staying low, hidden under the brim of his flat cap, he waited for screams and threats, words of disappointment to fill his ears. He waited to be hit, to be knocked down again, spit on – a part of him expected it. His hands shook, even when folded in his lap, clasping the coin and letter. The anger in his stomach lingered. His leg bounced against the brick path cutting neatly across the public park, impatient. Ben wanted to say something – so many things – yet all felt woefully inefficient. He kept his mouth firmly shut. Ben could not dare open it again lest he make things worse for himself.

Finally, Jack stopped, turning entirely to the seated man. "Did you know?" he asked.

He shook his head.

Something curled inside Jack's stomach, twisting in a muted rage. Disappointment, humiliation, hurt. He was not sure. "And you have no other siblings with a B-starting name?"

"N-no," Ben whispered, hands firmly fixed together in his lap. He squirmed under Jack's stare. "Just...m-my sister, Bea – Beatrice...but, she, she's too young."

"And how can you prove that this is not some great ruse to humiliate me?"

Ben's eyes shot to him, wide and pained. "I-I wouldn't – !" He caught himself, turning away. He clenched his jaw, grunting.

Jack's fingernails dug into his palms. He bared his teeth, lips snarled. "Do you have anything to say?"

"Everythin' alrigh' over 'ere?" The Irishman's words cut through the cool night air. Donning a smart police uniform, he approached the two men, a curious look in his eyes.

Ben hastily slipped the letter and coin into his pocket.

"Yes," Jack hissed, taking in a breath. Then, with an exhale, he turned to the officer. "I do have a question, my good sir. I have business to attend to in Allisport tonight. What time is the next train out? It is imperative I get back as soon as possible."

The serviceman clicked his tongue. "The trains stopped about an 'our ago, sir. They don't pick up until tomorrow a' five. Trams to the next town over 're still runnin', but nothin' long-distance 'till tomorrow mornin'," he replied, shaking his head. He pointed across the public park. "If yer are pressed for a place to stay, the Lennox Boarding 'ouse Inn's just across the way. Tall brick buildin', can't miss i'."

Jack sighed. "Yes, thank you."

Nodding his head down towards Ben, he asked, "Is yer friend alrigh'?"

"Drank too much," Jack said, the casual tone strained with annoyance. "It was not the intention of our outing, and I am rightfully frustrated with him, but I do not doubt he will be fine after a night's rest."

"Righ'..." The officer tipped his cap to them and strolled off, his pace leisurely.

Yet Jack's foot tapped rhythmically against the brick path, the air singeing, cold in their ears. Somehow, Jack grew impatient at the world's quietness. "What was your name again, Mr. Price?"

"...Ben. B-Benjamin."

Letting out an exasperated grunt, Jack glanced around the public square, tired of the constant questions with no answers. "Mr. Price, there's a livery stable just across the way." His words hung in the air, an expectation he would understand.