Chapter 11 - Hatred, Love, and a Getaway

After a while, Xander felt his emotions kick back in and laid back, silent.

Tyler and Josh looked down at him worriedly, pulling him into a warm embrace. "Don't worry kiddo, we've got you." "We always do."

Xander smiled slightly and melted in the embrace, choking back tears. Today wasn't gonna be the best, it seems.

After a while, Tyler got up and went downstairs to find some things to help Xander.

Josh held Xander to his chest, which caused the poor kid to break down in the quiet sobs he had been holding back. A worried expression overtook Josh's face as he tried to console his son, to no avail.

Xander just started crying harder and harder, unable to control it anymore.

His phone was blowing up on the bed next to them with hateful messages from all the people he considered close friends.

Josh stared at the phone in anger, picking it up and texting all these people back as himself to defend Xander at all costs. The people kept spewing the hateful, misogynistic, transphobic messages until Josh had enough and blocked them all.

Xander was sobbing painfully into Josh's chest.

Tyler came back into the room holding soft, fuzzy, black blankets, a few new hoodies, a black bunny from a company called Plushie Dreadfuls, and some fuzzy socks. He put everything on the bed and looked at Josh. "What happened?!" "All his so-called 'friends' started blowing his phone up with transphobic, hateful messages for no reason. It's not fair to him."

Tyler sighed and gently stroked Xander's hair, slightly tearing up himself seeing the kid in so much pain.

He looked back up at Josh. "I think we need to go to my place for a few days. He needs a getaway."

Josh nodded in agreement and gently scooped Xander up in his arms. Tyler grabbed a black duffel bag and put all the stuff he had grabbed in it, alongside more of Xander's clothes and his favorite plushies. He carried the bag to his car and put it in the trunk.

Josh sat in the backseat with Xander after explaining the situation to Debby.

Tyler hopped in the driver's seat and slowly drove to his house, careful not to scare Xander any more. A long, peaceful drive with Twenty One Pilots playing quietly over the stereo.

Once they arrived, the sun was setting, and Josh got out with Xander in his arms.

Poor Xander was still crying so painfully, his voice fading out.

Tyler grabbed Xander's bag and they went inside. He led them to the spare bedroom. "You guys will have to share a room, unless you don't mind sleeping on the couch Josh."

Josh looked down at Xander and sighed quietly. "He needs me, I don't mind staying with him."

Tyler nodded thoughtfully and opened the door, setting up the room. He turned on the TV to Xander's favorite show, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and set up the bed. He put all the blankets on the bed, set up Xander's plushies, and nodded to Josh.

Josh set Xander on the bed.

Tyler carefully took off Xander's tight hoodie and put him in one of the new ones, which were oversized and warm. He then put the fuzzy socks on him alongside some warm pajama pants and gently laid him down, tucking him in with the blankets. He slowly held out the new plush to him. "Here kiddo... we're gonna stay in here with you tonight, okay? I promise it'll be okay. Just try and rest."

Xander nodded and got comfy, hugging the new plush and laid back more, watching the TV through remnant tears.

Tyler noticed this and gently wiped the tears with his thumb, softly cradling Xander's face for a minute.

Josh watched this thoughtfully, tearing up slightly from the genuine affection Tyler gave Xander. He went and laid in the bed next to Xander, wrapping an arm across his shoulders lovingly.

Xander slowly dozed off, and so did Josh.

Tyler was left to lay on an air mattress next to the bed, holding Xander's hand as he fell asleep as well.