Chapter 9

Cameron

      Loud squeals from behind me reached my ears but I couldn't care less. She'd been at it for a while now. Hell, she'd been dragging her feet since the moment the crowd disappeared behind us, but I didn't care. In fact, It was a surprise why she was still trudging behind me even after all this time.

“What?” I spun around immediately, halting in my tracks. I watched Alyssa's eyes widen as she skidded to a halt a couple of inches from me. For a split second, I thought she was going to bump into me and God knew if she did, I would take that as my cue to leave. “Why are you following me?”

“What?” Her voice was barely a whisper, like she'd been crying all the way here. Now that I thought of it, I did hear some sniffling. “What….”

“I asked why you're following me.” She flinched, taking a step back. “You should have turned back by now.”

“But you asked me to follow you.” She whispered. Her voice was no different from a baby who'd just lost its voice. “ You told me….”

“Well I didn't mean you should follow me all the way!” I snapped and she flinched again, a gasp sliding past her lips. “If I asked you to follow me to the ends of the earth, would you do that?”

I watched with slight irritation as she parted her lips, before clamping them shut again.

“Answer me!” I yelled this time around. She looked like she wanted nothing else than to sink into the ground. “Would you walk with me into fire because I asked you to?”

“No….”

“Then why the hell are you still walking behind me?” I flared up. “ You should be gone by now. Taken the previous turn or the one before that. You shouldn't be here right now.”

“I have nowhere to go.” I scoffed at her response. That was it? That was all she had to say?. “I can't go back to my dorm, neither can I go back to Vivian. And Bennett….”

“Don't.” I cut her off immediately. “I don't want to hear a thing about him.”

“Sorry.” She sniffed. “So you see. That's why I have to come with you…”

“You can't.” I snapped at her again. “You can't. So turn around and find somewhere else to be.”

“But..” she was literally whining like a child and it irked me to my bones. “I….”

“Would you have preferred to break down in front of the crowd then?” I fisted my hands by my side as I spoke, the tone of my voice going an octave higher. “So that they would get a handful of videos to post on that stupid blog site and call it tea?”

“No.” Alyssa shook her head slowly. “No, not at all.”

“Now, get the hell out of here.” I watched her as she took slow and gentle steps back, her face never leaving mine. A million emotions glowed behind the lenses of her glasses, but I didn't care. I couldn't be bothered with those stupid things.

“Why are you doing this?” Alyssa mouthed in a shaky breath the moment she got to the other end of the corridor. “ Why'd you do it? Bennett's your brother for….”

“Step brother!” I called out, cutting the rest of her sentence off. “ I'm his step brother and I don't care about him. He knows it too.”

“Is that why you told me about it?” I groaned internally as I realized her assumption about me. “Just so you could hurt him?”

“I told you because he'd been leading you on for a long time now.” I let out through gritted teeth. “And you'd been too dumb not to see it.”