Chapter 49: Prophet News and Fun in Potions

Start from the beginning

The four friends couldn't stop laughing, which earned disapproving stares from nearby students. Usually Albus would be the one to are about being stared at, but this time he ignored them and enjoyed the moment. He missed small moments like these with his best friends.

Suddenly, the screech of dozens of owls rang through the Great Hall, signaling it was mail day. Albus instinctively covered up his lunch, fearing an owl would poop on his plate like one did last time. He remembered his friends nearly collapsing on the floor from laughing so hard.

Once the owls flew away, everyone in the room who received a letter or a copy of the latest Prophet issue buzzed with excitement, their eyes skimming over what they were reading with anticipation. Albus noticed that those with Daily Prophet issues were especially noisy today. It must be another juicy story.

"Wonder where someone claims to have seen my grandfather this time," grumbled Scorpius, angrily stabbing at his chicken with his fork. 

Ever since the incident with Lucius Malfoy at the Burrow two months ago, the entire wizarding world has been on a huge manhunt for the accused murderer of Kingsley Shacklebolt. The Daily Prophet had began putting out ridiculous front-page stories about Lucius Malfoy sightings in their papers since then, which irked Albus. Every headline these days was always absurd!

One of the first ones read: BREAKING NEWS: LUCIUS MALFOY SUPPOSEDLY SPOTTED IN MUGGLE LONDON!

Albus recalled Scorpius saying, "What the hell! He despises Muggles! Why would he be in bloody Muggle London!" when he read the headline that day.

Another obnoxious headline had said: BREAKING NEWS: LUCIUS MALFOY SUPPOSEDLY SPOTTED AT MADAM PUDDIFOOT'S TEA SHOP IN DIAGON ALLEY! WITNESS SAYS HE WAS DRINKING TEA! 

"Oh, Merlin forbid it! The most wanted man in the wizarding world was drinking tea! How diabolical!" Scorpius had said dramatically. 

And now there was today's headline.

Just then, Lily and Hugo rushed over to their spot at the Gryffindor table and practically shoved the paper in Albus's face.

"Albus! Albus! Look what it says!" Lily exclaimed.

"Oi, Lily! Calm down!" Albus mumbled under the paper shoved in his face. He removed it, then skimmed his finger over the headline, his eyes widening as he took in the bold words. 

BREAKING NEWS: LUCIUS MALFOY SPOTTED NEAR HOGWARTS PROPERTY! BEWARE!

"Oh, what rubbish!" Scorpius said, snatching the paper out of Albus's hands and reading it himself. His angry facial expression softened as he read the entire story on the front cover.

"There's no 'supposedly' on this one," Rose pointed out, her voice wavering.

"What do you mean?" Holly questioned her.

Rose grabbed the paper from Scorpius as he was reading it and furiously pointed to the bold headline. "Have you all noticed that each headline has the word 'supposedly' in it, which obviously gives away that it's a hoax? This Prophet doesn't have that."

Albus finally noticed what she was talking about. Just because a word was left out of this particular headline, was it true this time? It couldn't be. Lucius Malfoy would never potentially get himself caught by coming to the most heavily protected place in the wizarding world.