Chapter-42: A String Of The Past.

Start from the beginning

"Don't laugh!" The girl says as she stands. I am yet to see her as her face is covered with her hair as she stands with her back to me. She seems to adjust her dress and hair before she turns around. Her head whipped back to look at me and my eyes widened as I met with an angry pair of eyes. An angry pair of eyes I recognize. She is the girl from the party. The girls seemed to recognize me.

"You!" Akriti Ghoshal, daughter of Aakash and Pratibha Ghoshal. She looked at me with her piercing eyes as yet again I was consumed by her gaze. She pouts her delicate lips at me as she takes a small step towards me, stomping her feet. "What are you doing here?"  I don't answer her. I stare at her with an intensity I never knew I was capable of. Little did I know at the time that the girl standing in front of me would turn out to reign over my heart, mind and all my desires. That just a smile that forms over her delicate rose lips would conquer my nights. Those pearl-like eyes will turn out to burn my soul. Burn my very existence into nothing but a desperate wish to stay by her side and this time, to choose her over my fears. To have her even if it costs me life and death. I have been there once, I don't mind it the second time around.

Maya? Ranav looks around the darkness that suddenly surrounds him. What was that? He thought. Yet again, he saw Maya in his dream and yet again, he called her Akriti. Akriti Ghoshal. Who is she? Why does she look so much like Maya? What is her relationship with me? Before Ranav could think about it any further he woke up, confused to the core. He looks around for a few minutes as reality slowly settles in.

He is in Kasauli, in the safety of his home. 

***

Maya wakes up panting for air in her bed. She had a nightmare but doesn't remember what happened in her dream. The time is 3:00 am and she gets out of her bed to get some water. The jug is empty so she goes downstairs to get it refilled. As she passed by their office room, she paused and looked inside, her mind intrigued to go in. She gently pushes open the door as she takes a step inside. Her brother must be asleep in his room. The diary lies on the desk where they had left it earlier. She placed her hand over the cover, lightly caressing its surface, as she argued with herself whether she should open it. She flips the cover and sees her brother's handwriting. She couldn't help but go on. It was as if the contents of the book called out to her as she flipped the pages and started reading. She can no longer write poems. She doesn't remember when it started, but slowly it's like that part of her has faded. All she knew was that it started when she was 14, when she read her mother's diary, and read about her broken family, her struggles to fit into a new family, her trauma of that molestation attempt, and her painful pregnancy.

She flips through the pages, completely immersed in the poems as her eyes get fixed on one particular poem. She instantly knew what it meant.

"As the winter cold surrounded the white walls of grief

A liquid gem slipped from the eye of a woman referred to as the angry thief,

She held out a trembling hand in search of a promise

Before leaving the winter behind to walk the path of bliss,

The departure took the colour out of my soul

Leaving behind a shell that cannot be whole,

As empty as I was, I bid my time for the arrival of light

In hopes that the return of the missing piece will set things straight,

The hidden promise stays unfulfilled

As my inevitable duty grows strong-willed,

I vowed to do right by it, to put them before myself

As the chapters of my story remained untouched on that shelf,

A promise was made to myself

For which I prepare to unself."

It was about her mother's death. Maya knew Amish was five years old when she was born and their mother passed away. It was in winter, and the white walls were referring to the hospital. Angry thief was the nickname their father gave their mother. The path of bliss is the road to the afterlife. What Maya didn't understand was what promise Amish was talking about. How many secrets was she unaware of and how much doesn't she know about her brother?

***

Yep, another poem. I am kinda trying to improve cuz I am writing about a family of poems so can't be lousy with poems. Will try my best with poems going forward. Hope you're liking the story so far, if yes, do vote on the chapter so the reach might increase for the story and leave a comment on what you think about the plot, poem and my writing...

BYE Bye, See you in the next chapter.

***