5 || Strange Box

Either through the fading day, magic, or luck, they managed to lug Cassia's friends back to the car. She fiddled around in Tinni's pocket for the key, and once the doors were unlocked, Tal and Aeden maneuvered the girls inside. Aeden was much gentler with Tinni than Tal was with Orsa. Cassia winced when her friend's leg whacked against the doorframe.

Tal chuckled nervously. "Sorry about that."

Cassia forced a reassuring smile, though she inspected Orsa's calf for any obvious bruising when Tal wasn't looking. Once both of her friends were securely in their seats, the Spirit Hunters shut the doors and turned to her.

"Once you're in, we'll walk a small distance away and release the spell from this talisman." Aeden held up a slip of paper that had some symbol scrawled across its front. The black ink almost seemed to glint under the sun, almost like it had been written with a fancy spark gel pen. Flann had handed it to him before they left. "When I do that, they'll wake up thinking you had an exhausting day at the park."

Cassia nodded even as her hands fidgeted in front of her. It didn't matter that she understood the why or that she wanted what was safest for her friends. Altering their memories continued to twist her insides.

When their involvement stemmed from her own stupid actions, though, she could bear the weight of that guilt.

Aeden cleared his throat. Ever since they'd left the Shadow Hunter's based, he'd kept up a professional air, even if he refused to meet her eyes. That continued, even now, as he stood directly in front of her. He kept finding new things to look at. He pulled out his phone and made a small waving gesture at it, as if he hoped to keep her eyes on it.

"Would you mind giving me your address? You should be safe without a direct watch for a little bit, and I don't want to be some creeper following behind your friend's car on your way back. Your number would probably be useful as well, just in case I have any questions or you need to contact me."

Tal snorted off to the side. It turned into an innocent whistle when Cassia tried to find out what that was about. Shaking her head at the weird boy, she looked back to Aeden. Unless it was just the lighting, faint red blush dusted the top of his cheekbones.

Cassia felt the sudden need to avert her own gaze as she listed off her address and phone number. Aeden nodded along, his long fingers darting across his phone screen. Her own phone buzzed in her pocket. When she pulled it out, an unknown number scrawled across her lock screen.

Zarin deserves better than Amarath

The unexpected reference to Aeden's latest purchase pulled a laugh from Cassia. It felt amazing after the long day that had just passed. She grinned up at Aeden to find him finally gazing at her, giving her a soft smile of his own.

She shot back, #ZariMari for life ;)

"Are you two just going to stand there texting each other? Because I'd really rather not puke up my lunch." Tal crossed his arms and wrinkled his nose at them.

Aeden cleared his throat and slid his phone back into his pocket. "Sorry about that. I guess I'll see you later."

"Yeah, you too. Or, well." Cassia's cheeks warmed. "Maybe I won't, but, well..." She made some vague gesture to make up for the words she didn't know how to express.

Tal slammed his palm against his forehead. "Okay, I'm putting an end to this awkward fest. Aeden, let's go to the tree line. Cassia, get in your car." As he spoke, he looped an arm around Aeden's collarbone and started dragging him away, leaving no room for discussion.