Chapter 8: The Life of a Kage

Ten years Three Months till Canon – Three Months till Graduation

It has been six months since the confession was made by the Uzukage's prime disciple. Things had been shaky between the two as a boundary between teacher and student shattered. At first, it had been odd as neither had ever been in a relationship before, but by taking it slow, an understanding had begun to form. One was madly in love with the other, but the other believed it was hero-worship while being unsure of their feelings. The pair weren't exactly boyfriend and girlfriend, but they were more than friends. Due to the unease, the immortal sage felt the only skinship between the two had been holding of hands.

The Bijuu supported them both easing them down the road to a steady relationship. Saiken had been the most helpful as their previous Jinchuuriki Utakata had been romantic in the past. The six-tailed slug was picked for ideas which the chakra beast happily gave. The second date to Water 7 came to suggestion as the uneasy couple booked a restaurant founded by a clone. Under the guise of his past appearance, Naruto and Suzuka shared a lovely evening with music and a candlelit dinner for two as they shared a glass of wine as they not only celebrated a beautiful evening but Suzuka as Uzushiogakure's first Genin.

Other than a growing relationship slave ships had been dragged to the docks of Uzushiogakure. Gyuki had killed off the crew while hauling the ships behind. The captives had been those forcibly removed from their homes, and orphans unwanted to the world. Those who had houses to return to were given safe passage and those who had nowhere to go joined Uzushiogakure. The diversity of Uzu had grown accommodating Merfolk Fishman and Mermaids, members of various tribes such as the Longarms all the way to the Mink along with one or two giants. No one would be denied the right to a home because of their race.

For Merfolk the construction of an underwater city beneath Uzu no Kuni had begun. It was unexpected for Merfolk to live on land when they were at home in the sea. Not only was Lower Uzushiogakure a home for the Merfolk it served as an evacuation point during times of need for the surface dwellers.

Naruto's gaze cast itself out the window of his office, thoughts beginning to reflect on Kuroka and Shirone. The eldest sister had enrolled into the Shinobi Academy only six months, the training received from the protective Matatabi had ensured the young girl sailed through all courses that should have taken two years. The training received from the two-tailed cat had shot a talented Kunoichi upwards with such potential they were just around the corner from graduating with the other graduates in three months. A decision, however, was made to keep Kuroka in school to make friends her age.

Shirone was still anti-social as ever only ever spending time with Matatabi, Kuroka, Suzuka or Naruto. At times the Kage would find the tiny girl attached to their side hanging off them unable to be pried away. The feelings of wanting to attach could not be blamed on Shirone as the emotions she suffered at the hands their mother abandoning had left an empty hole. It wasn't all bad news, as good news also followed, Matatabi had begun Shirone's training taking the first step to unlocking their chakra reserves.

There was nothing to mind, as the feeling of company made one happy. Today, however, was lonely as the two-tailed feline had taken her kitten to continue training, focusing on chakra and control before moving onto other subjects and areas.

In the month that had recently passed Suzuka had taken on the role of the Uzukage's secretary to sort through all paperwork delivered by the Kage's clones. Clones could dispell and send all memories back to the original, but this caused a massive flood that could even overwhelm an immortal. To accommodate a mental wall was put in place to counter the surge of memories. For essential details to continue making way, clones sent in paperwork that was sorted by the Kage's secretary. Documentation would come in dribs and drabs for the Kage to browse allowing them to leisurely pace through piles of paperwork instead of experiencing the headache of memory feedback.