xiv. flowering

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ˗
You will always be beautiful. 

word count : 2096

word count : 2096

VALAENA WOKE UP with immense discomfort, eyes immediately squinting in pain as she rolled over onto her back. She laid there for a moment, praying that she had more time than she imagined she had before breakfast - enough time for the feeling to pass. Perhaps dinner last night did not agree with me, Valaena deduced, pushing herself up and leaning on her elbows as Leria entered her chambers, as she routinely did.

Leria had olive skin, black hair and dark eyes, all of which accentuated her beauty. Although, despite her strong Rhoynar appearance and traits, she did not possess the accent. Valaena supposed the girl had not even been born in Dorne, or at least hadn't stayed there long. It also wasn't a subject Valaena was inclined to talk to the girl about. In fact, they hardly spoke about anything at all.

   "Good morning, Princess Valaena," Leria greeted, smiling brightly despite Valaena's constant hesitance around her. The Velaryon managed a small smile, sitting up fully. "Is there anything particular you want to wear to breakfast?"

   "Not really," Valaena shrugged, pushing the duvet off her body and stepping out of bed, her feet hitting the cold wooden floor. She made a mental note to ask for a carpet by her bed, having always found the sensation quite unpleasant.

Standing by her bed, Valaena frowned, her hand coming down to her stomach as the discomfort continued. As well as the realisation of something wet between her legs. It seemed Leria caught on sooner than Valaena had, the handmaiden taking careful steps towards the princess as she finally peered down at her nightdress. A patch of blood stained her ivory-coloured nightdress, and as she turned to look at her bed, she saw that it was also stained red.

Unaware of what was going on, Valaena immediately began to hyperventilate. She took in sharp breaths, her gaze switching between the bed and her dress. It was only when Leria had moved to stand in front of her, holding the young girl's face in her hands, that Valaena somewhat snapped out of it.

   "You are fine, Princess Valaena," Leria reassured, using her thumbs to wipe the tears from her face. It was not common or encouraged for a handmaiden to be touchy in this way, but Valaena appreciated it at the time, the panic in her lilac eyes dimming for a moment. That is before she allowed her eyes to drift back over to the blood on the bed, her hands beginning to tremble.

Valaena suddenly became aware of the blood on her hands, dripping into a small puddle on the floor beside the body...There's so much blood, she thought, crimson flecks on her dress. So much blood-

   "Get away from me!" Valaena cried out, pushing Leria's hands away from her. For a moment all she could see was Keila - the handmaiden she had so brutally murdered. In that moment, all her anxieties over having a new handmaiden had returned, amplified by the blood on her dress and on her bed. "You must leave, please. Please leave. Leave!"