iv. targaryen rage

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 ˗
It is difficult to resent pretty things.

𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆'𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 , 𝟏𝟐𝟓𝐀𝐂

IT WAS AFTER VALAENA'S ACCIDENT that Jacaerys began to truly notice the fixation the three Targaryen boys had for Valaena, and it irritated him beyond comprehension

IT WAS AFTER VALAENA'S ACCIDENT that Jacaerys began to truly notice the fixation the three Targaryen boys had for Valaena, and it irritated him beyond comprehension. Jacaerys grew even more protective of Valaena, steering her as often as he could away from their uncles. This only further caused divide between the two sides of the family, with the infighting spreading to the children even more aggressively. It brewed rivalries that showed itself during feasts and training, and it didn't help that Viserys forced them to study with the same maesters and train under the same master-at-arms. It did more to drive them apart than bring them together, and Valaena found herself unwillingly caught in the middle of it.

There would be many fights like it, but Valaena herself witnessed the first major one.

Valaena and Aegon had been walking through the gardens, the former more interested in the flowers than the latter. Valaena was nine, and Aegon was ten and two, not long before his namesday. They would have had guards or chaperones, but Viserys had insisted that the two spent some time together alone, even though he had been advised that leaving them alone was inappropriate. It was clear that the King wanted them betrothed, believing that Valaena would ground the boy who was already showing signs of laziness and insolence. This match was much to the chagrin of Alicent and Rhaenyra. And of course, to all potential suitors across Westeros. The news had not yet been broken to Valaena's brothers or Aegon's siblings.

   "I think your brother loathes me," Aegon mentions, although it didn't seem like the thought upset him at all. It amused him, a smile twitching at his lips.

   "As you loathe him," Valaena responded, rolling her eyes in a sort of exasperation. "The only thing you two can bond over is your persistent teasing of Aemond - which saddens me."

   "What part saddens you?" Aegon questioned, eyebrows furrowing a little. Aegon could be terribly wicked, but his heart softened for Valaena, and for Valaena alone.

   "The way you and the boys treat Aemond," Valaena clarified, eyes trailing over the various colours and types of flowers while Aegon's eyes remained focused on her. He couldn't care less about the bellflowers and moonblooms. "It upsets him deeply. And I also do not have a dragon - why do you not bother me about it? And do not use the excuse you and Daeron used all those years ago, give me a real reason."

   "Because you do not need a dragon," Aegon said as if it were obvious. "Not when I have one. Sunfyre and I will protect you."

   "Thank you, but it is not protection I am asking for. I can look after myself just fine," Valaena said, pausing in her tracks to turn to Aegon, patting the side of his face gently with her hand. "With or without a dragon."