FIVE. railway children

FIVE. RAILWAY CHILDREN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE SIX OF THEM had managed to get back to the van, but it was clear that they needed to get rid of it. This idea became extremely evident when they realized that they were being followed by a military helicopter.

"They know the van," said Percy from where he sat next to Matheo, gripping onto the seat as Zoë drove as quickly as she could. "We have to ditch it." At those words, the girl swerved into the fast line, making Percy collide into Matheo's shoulder.

Grover peered up at the helicopter, giving the other's a nervous smile. "Maybe the military will shoot it down." He said hopefully, trying to make the others feel better. "The military probably thinks it's one of theirs." Percy crushed Grover's hopes right then and there.

"How can the General use mortals, anyway?" Percy asked over all the commotion. "Mercenaries. It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid." Matheo can see himself doing that, if he was going to be completely honest.

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for? Don't they notice all the monsters around them?" Percy kept asking questions, and usually Matheo would be okay with it, but he really wished he would shut up.

"They might not be able to see that much through the Mist." Matheo said from where he sat, voice stern. Zoë nodded from the driver's seat. "Your friend is correct. I do not know how much they can see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

Matheo swallowed at those words, agreeing silently.

Overhead, he could hear the helicopter getting closer and closer, while they stayed almost completely still in traffic. Thalia nervously peered behind her at the helicopter before turning ahead, pressing her palms together and closing her eyes. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

It was obviously not that easy, because nothing happened whatsoever. The sky remained sad and dull. "There!" Bianca piped up, pointing at a parking lot to their right. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped."

"Trust me." And it seemed Zoë did, because not a second later she merged so she could get into the parking lot with no problems. The parking lot was south of a river, and the sound of water rustling filled Matheo's ears once he got out of the van.

"Subway entrance. Let's go south. Alexandria." Bianca said, Matheo had no complaints. He just wanted to get out of there so he could chill out for a moment. "Anything."

They bought a total of six tickets, keeping covered as they waited for the train to arrive. It only took a few minutes and they were aboard the southbound train, heading toward Alexandria.

There was a moment of panic between the group when the train made it's way above ground. However, the helicopter didn't chase after them. Matheo let himself breath.

"Nice job, Bianca," complimented Grover, letting out a relieved sigh. "Thinking of the subway."

Bianca smiled happily at that, seemingly pleased that she was able to do something useful for everyone. "Yeah, well. I saw that station when Nico and I came through last summer. I remember being really surprised to see it, because it wasn't here when we use to live in D.C."