6-Forgotten Memories

I said nothing as I slid into the backseat of the minivan.

Dad peered at me through the rearview mirror.

"You don't want to sit next to me?" he asked. I merely kept staring at the back of the front seat, struggling not to tap my foot repeatedly in nervousness. "Rachel?"

I sighed.

"Let's just go,dad," I told him. Better to get this over with as soon as possible.

Dad started the car and drove out of the school premises. Ms Sarah's office wasn't a long drive from here. Within fifteen minutes, we were at the tall plaza where her office was located.

Without saying a word, I placed my hand over the door knob to push it open.

"Rachel." Dad stopped me. "Baby, I'm only doing this because I love you.You know that right?"

My hand tightened on the knob along with the constriction in my chest.

"Don't say that."

I didn't turn to look at him, but I could feel the pain coming off of him. I couldn't stand it.

"I-I'll see you in an hour," I said, then pushed the door open and stepped outside.

The journey upstairs felt like an eternity, my heart pounding in my chest. I couldn't tell her. What if she thought me insane?! That was if she didn't already think I was insane. What if she sent me to a mental institution?!

You're overthinking this, Rachel. Breathe...

I made myself knock on the cold metallic door.

"Come in," came the gentle voice of my therapist.

I steeled myself, taking a deep breath as I let myself into the room.

"Rachel!" A smile lit up her face. "How are you today?"

I sat on the comfy couch, though it didn't feel so comfortable right now.

"Fine," I replied, tightly.

She tilted her head as if to study me properly from across the mahogany table.

"Are you upset that I called for you during school hours?"she asked, with a small pout.

I gave her an uninterested stare. I really wasn't in the mood for her playfulness. I knew it was to put me at ease, but it wasn't going to work, not with the tension I was in.

She leaned back into her swiveling chair, smiling.

"Your dad told me you're trying out for handball," she started. "That's a great..."

"I don't think I should do that anymore," I interrupted.

She frowned in confusion.

"Why the change of heart? Your dad said you were pretty enthusiastic about it."

A shiver made me tremble as I recalled the events of yesterday.

I winced. I was sure she had noticed. Her eyes were so quick sometimes that I questioned her humanity.

"Is there something you want to tell me, Rachel?" she asked, her tone dropping from its original ecstatic state.

I stared down at my hands clenched in my laps. I was scared... Scratch that. I was terrified of what I had seen, and it would only get worse if I didn't tell someone. But I also had to consider the implication of telling her too.

"Rachel."

I winced. She had taken on that voice. The one that carried so much sympathy it made me feel like I was on my deathbed.