Rachel returns

The two girls talked about all the amazing things camp had to offer—magic archery, Pegasus riding, the lava wall, fighting monsters—but it was clear Lilia's mind was elsewhere. She showed no enthusiasm in the tour.

Annabeth explained that Camp half blood was mainly a summer camp, but some kids stayed year-round and they'd gained so many new campers it was always crowded now, even in winter.

They climbed the hill to the edge of camp and Piper looked out at the view, it all seemed like a different world from the snowy hills and fields outside.

"The valley is protected from mortal eyes," Lilia said.  "As you can see, the weather is controlled too."

Piper frowned. "The snow came back so quick. That heatwave carried across the entire country. I wonder why." She said, almost to herself.

Lilia looked embarrassedly at Annabeth, who cleared her throat. "Yeah, that's because it wasn't a natural heatwave. We're not sure how or why, but Lilia somehow caused it."

"Oh." Piper said, trying to comprehend that. "Leo thought it was aliens." She muttered, seemingly calm.

Lilia snorted at that, for the first time in days. Annabeth glanced at her, relieve to see a smile on her friend's face.

"Each cabin represents a Greek god—a place for that god's children to live." Annabeth said as they continued the tour.

"You're saying mom was a goddess?" Piper said, surprisingly calm.

"You're taking this awfully well." Annabeth noted.

Piper seemed far away for a second, then she took a shaky breath and said, "I guess after this morning, it's a little easier to believe. So who's my mom?"

"We should know soon," Lilia said. "You're what- fifteen? Gods are supposed to claim you when you're thirteen. That was the deal."

"The deal?"

"They made a promise last summer ... well, long story... but they promised not to ignore their demigod children anymore, to claim them by the time they turn thirteen. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but you saw how fast Leo was claimed once he got here. Should happen for you soon. Tonight at the campfire, I bet we'll get a sign."

"Why thirteen?"

"The older you get," Annabeth said, "the more monsters notice you, try to kill you. 'Round thirteen is usually when it starts. That's why we send protectors into the schools to find you guys, get you to camp before it's too late."

"Like Coach Hedge?"

Annabeth nodded. "He's-he was a satyr: half man, half goat. Satyrs work for the camp, finding demigods, protecting them, bringing them in when the time is right."

"What happened to him?" she asked. "When he went up into the clouds, did he ... is he gone for good?"

"Hard to say." Lilia's expression was pained. "Storm spirits ... difficult to battle. Even our best weapons, Celestial bronze, will pass right through them unless you can catch them by surprise."

"Jason's sword just turned them to dust," Piper remembered.

"He was lucky, then. If you hit a monster just right, you can dissolve them, send their essence back to Tartarus."

"Tartarus?"

"A huge abyss in the Underworld, where the worst monsters come from. Kind of like a bottomless pit of evil. Anyway, once monsters dissolve, it usually takes months, even years before they can re-form again. But since this storm spirit Dylan got away—well, I don't know why he'd keep Hedge alive. Hedge was a protector, though. He knew the risks. Satyrs don't have mortal souls. He'll be reincarnated as a tree or a flower or something."