Untitled Part 28

After leaving the Royal Academy, we didn't speak for a while.

Tan's observations were sharp. The professorship was the most valuable thing Albert Letier had at the moment.

If someone wanted to become a professor, the simplest way was to drive out Professor Letier. He was a fallen star, a former prodigy.

If it was difficult to expel him due to his exceptional abilities, one could resort to murder followed by a staged suicide. As long as the security forces didn't catch any leads, the newly vacant position at the Royal Academy could be filled.

However, Albert Letier was not assassinated.

He attempted suicide.

Moreover, suspicious incidents were entangled around him. Was driving out one professor enough to expose corruption at the Royal Academy?

The reactions of other professors were also strange. They openly rejected Professor Letier, but upon learning about his memory loss, they approached him and tried to find out what was going on.

Even among students from other classes, there were those like Just who sneaked into Leter's class. How should one interpret the malice he displayed?

My heart raced.

As we passed through the Royal Academy gates, Tan grabbed my elbow. He gestured in a completely different direction from home.

While following him, I scanned the surroundings. There were no one noticeably suspicious. I lowered my voice and asked:

"Are we being followed again?"

"Just grocery shopping. There's nothing to eat at home."

It suddenly occurred to me that I had only eaten bread in the morning.

"Right, that's true."

"Why else do you think I came to the Royal Academy?"

Tan looked puzzled.

I hesitated. Given the habit of countless operatives from the Vintiskaya Grand Duchy who used to tail me like shadows, it wasn't unreasonable for Tan to question my choice of meeting place. I played it off as a joke.

"Perhaps you come here because you missed me?"

Tan chuckled.

"No, I came here to help you with your shopping."

"That's a shame."

"You don't seem that disappointed?"

I smiled a little too.

"Today isn't the last time, so come see me next time."

"Hmm..."

"Is it a burdensome request?"

"Well, I'll do it once if you want. But I'll go when I'm somewhere other than the Royal Academy. It's a bit annoying there."

'Why?'

"Why?"

He told me what happened before he arrived at the Third Laboratory.

After I went to work, Tan realized that he hadn't set a meeting place. He said he thought he would just wait at the entrance of the Royal Academy around noon and didn't worry too much.

However, as soon as he started waiting at the Royal Academy, several muscular men came and tried to drag him away. He got annoyed and shook them off. The men cursed and disappeared. Soon after, two men who looked like they had been waving swords came out from inside.