2. Princess of Alsior

(Img src: SumikoMak)

Angela bowed once and left the spot. Viorna took a ring with several keys out of her apron's pocket and inserted the most neatly polished one of them into the door's keyhole.

As she entered the room, the princess was nowhere to be seen.

"Princess, even if you hide, I will know where you are right away."

Inside the princess’s bedroom were numerous pieces of furniture unified by the color white and brimming with a sense of high quality. Heading past a dresser and enormous bed that seemed like places a person would hide in, Viorna made her way beside the curtains, which clearly bulged in a human shape. As she turned one of the layers over, there Charlotte was, hiccupping and sobbing within the lace screens.

"I do not understand this mentality of hiding even though you want to be found..."

"Viorna, you meanie! You mother-in-law!"

"If I were your actual mother in law, you would have lost points with me by this kind of behavior. Princess, when you get emotional, you tend to forget about your position. I am worried...

.....when you'll marry into the Ragnelf family, I will no longer be there for you."

At those words, Charlotte's tears stopped completely and she was momentarily petrified just like that. She continued staring at Viorna wordlessly, and then, tears slowly started coming out of her eyes again.

"How can you say such a thing?"

She was aware of the fact, yet had not wanted to hear it from the person in question. Such feelings seeped out from her voice.

"I am the court lady of the castle Alsior. I only belong to the this castle, not to you princess Charlotte."

Charlotte’s lips trembled erratically. She swung her small fists and hit Viorna's chest without any force.

"No you're wrong! You belong to me! You are the one who took me from my mother's womb, and you are, you are the one who raised me! I have forgotten what my mother’s face looks like!...at least, tell me that I belong to you! Even after raising me for all those years of your life... How can you... cut me away so easily...?"

"Princess, it is for your sake."

"If it's for my sake, you're supposed to stay beside me!… Enough already… the letters.. and you. Everything.. Just get out! Get out of my sight!"

Wrapping herself around the curtains, Charlotte crouched on the spot and concealed her face.

"No, I will be by your side."

Viorna did not leave even after being told to do so and instead mutely embraced her from behind.

Such gentleness made her happy. Such gentleness was hateful. Such gentleness was something she feared losing. Fury, sorrow and joy welled within Charlotte, making her disoriented.

"If you won't be with me, don't treat me kindly."

She did her best to say so.

"It is precisely because I cannot go with you... that I want to treat you kindly. Even if only for now."

Regardless, Viorna's reply caused her to cry once again. The sounds of her sobs ensued continuously for a while, and, after a moment of silence, Charlotte asked with a shaky voice,

"Hey, when I get married, what will happen?"

It was an extremely abstract question.

"By 'what', you mean...?"