Chapter four - unraveling truths

Ophelia immediately snapped out of her sleepy daze upon hearing Samantha's frantic voice. "Ethan is in the hospital!" Samantha's words pierced the air, forcing Ophelia to step back in fear as her sister barged into the room. "Can we guess who put him there?" Samantha continued, her tone accusatory. "Even though he hasn't said anything yet, who else would it be!" Samantha's tirade prevented Ophelia from uttering a word. Orion, roused by the commotion, peeked out from under the covers, but seeing the girls fighting, he quickly retreated, hiding under the comforter.

"Samantha, I don't know anything about that! Why are you coming to me about this?" Ophelia finally managed to shout over her sister's loud accusations.

"Because this is your fault!" Samantha screamed back, her anger palpable.

  "And how exactly is that?" Ophelia retorted, bewildered by her sister's words. But Orion, fed up with Samantha's relentless yelling at Ophelia, couldn't bear to stay hidden any longer. He pushed the comforter off and rushed to Ophelia's side. "Why are you yelling at Ophelia?" Orion confronted Samantha.

Samantha was taken aback by Orion's sudden appearance, her anger momentarily giving way to hurt before resurging. "Why is he here?" She demanded, turning her attention to Ophelia, who hurriedly locked the door to prevent further interruptions.

"Stop yelling at Ophelia!" Orion interjected firmly.

"I agree, can we stop yelling in general though?" Samantha suggested, her tone less intense but still charged with emotion.

"You have Orion in your bed at 10 am. How can I be calm right now? Ethan is in the hospital because of Orion, which is even more evident now seeing his wounds!" Samantha exclaimed, her voice loud but not as piercing as before.

"I get that, but your yelling at 10 am is also unnecessary," Ophelia shot back, her frustration evident. "I'm telling Mother Orion was in your bed," Samantha threatened, moving towards the door, but Ophelia pleaded with her to stop.

"Why shouldn't I?" Samantha challenged, her confidence unwavering.

"Please don't," Ophelia implored once more, with Orion adding, "Don't, Samantha. It's petty to do that to her when it's me you're angry at."

"Sure it is, Orion, but it will be even better to see Mother and Father's reaction to finding out a boy was sleeping with Ophelia, especially considering he's supposed to be my betrothed, and that same boy beat Ethan to a pulp and left him on the concrete," Samantha stated confidently.

Ophelia, now crying, looked up at Orion with sad eyes. Feeling guilty for making her cry, Orion rushed to her side, wiping away her tears. Samantha rolled her eyes at the display. "Oh, Orion, does Ophelia know how you were still calling me 'my queen' and 'my love' while this was going on? I'd hope so," Samantha taunted, walking closer to the door.

Orion, blocking Samantha from leaving, explained, "That was simply to keep up the facade of affection, so you, nor our family's, would know the truth. Ophelia understands that."

"And you won't go to your parents anything, or else I'll tell them how you not only cheated on me with Ethan multiple times but also sent Ethan to fight me after I found out about the affair," Orion threatened confidently.

"None of that is true, and my parents would not believe you anyway. You have no proof," Samantha retorted, her frustration evident.

"Would you want to take that chance, Samantha?" Orion challenged, sensing her doubt.

Samantha's facade wavered momentarily, but she quickly regained her composure. Realizing Samantha wouldn't say anything further, Orion let her leave, closing the door behind her before turning back to Ophelia, who was now crying on the floor.