◕- Lost to Change- Childe

featuring:- Tartaglia as Ajax when he was 14 yrs old, his family, gn!reader (no pronouns used)
warnings:- implied angst, minor mention of injuries towards the end, nothing actually its just sad
a/n:- oml my first actual writing in like weeks i kinda like it ngl. can be read as platonic or non platonic since ajax is 14 here and reader is close to his age too

wc:- 1.6k

"Why isnt Dad back yet?" A little girl questioned you, her worry clear on her face

"Why isnt Dad back yet?" A little girl questioned you, her worry clear on her face. There's nothing you can say, though, because you have no answer. "He must still be searching, Tonia." you try to reassure her, watching over little Teucer who was still sleeping. "Try to go to sleep, Tonia. Tomorrow's a holiday, but you should still get your sleep. If- When Ajax comes back home, he wouldn't like to see you all exhausted now, would he?" Sensing her reluctance, you add, "I'm staying here. I'll keep watch. Nothing will happen, I promise. I'll wake you up when Uncle comes back home."

Tonia eventually trudges away to her shared bedroom with Anthon, socked feet moving soundlessly across the carpeted floor. Her elder sister follows to tuck her in, leaving you alone with Teucer as you sigh, gazing out at the moon high in the sky, anxious.

Its been two nights since Ajax had suddenly disappeared without a trace. He'd borrowed some bread for some reason before he left, and no one's heard of him since. He hadn't left Morepesok, that much was certain, because his parents had already confirmed it with the police. Which meant that he was certainly somewhere within this quaint little village, or he was lost in the forest. You sincerely hoped it wasn't the latter, as a distant howl of a wolf was heard.

The police were searching for him too, but his dad had been unable to sit still and wait for any news, so he left to search for Ajax himself. He knows how to protect himself... He would be fine.

"Thank you for staying here, dear. I'm sorry to have asked you to, but sometimes the kids only listen to you, not me. You can go to sleep in the guest bedroom too, its alright. I'm staying awake" Ajax's mother spoke up from beside the fireplace. At this point, she treats you like you're her one of her own kids too, and its somewhat reassuring. You quickly reply, "No no, its completely fine, I understand. I don't mind watching the kids at all. And I'll give you company till he comes back, don't worry. I'm used to sleepless nights."

Ajax's father comes back in the early morning, alone. The disappointment and worry is very visible on everyone's faces. You wake Tonia and Anthon up, as promised. Ajax's elder sister, Maria, and his two elder brothers had stayed awake through the night too. Breakfast is silent as the dim sunrays filter through the forest canopy. You insist on him getting some sleep. The house is silent as everyone goes to their bedrooms after breakfast to try and rest. You use the spare bedroom- its practically yours anyways, with how many times you've stayed here for sleepovers with Ajax. There's a hoard of blankets in one corner of the room that was used to make a fort every single sleepover. It was like an unofficial tradition of yours.