Thirteen

Trigger warning!
Mention of torture and blood, though not extreme.

"Fuck off."

I roll my eyes at the comment.

A group of narcissistic girls surround the voters, talking about who deserves what and why.

Im not interested, but that doesnt mean im not prying, and judging from the high pitched voices, the girls aren't eager to keep it a secret either.

After i had finished a twenty minutes course in thirty five minutes, these girls had been keen to offer me their opinions.

"I dont know what Dylan sees in her. Am i blind?"

"More like what the voters saw in her. Are they sure she wasnt on the redlist?"

"Well atleast such lousy competitors mean we have a high chance of being a royal."

Keep hoping and rightly so.
Because no way in hell am i going to follow the rules and step up the ladder.

"God, you were pathetic." I give Alara a small smile as she laughs at my expense.
Since Emily was in a different group, i was glad to have my best friend here.

"I know, you were pretty great though. Fifteen minutes? Are you kidding me."

A sheepish look passes Alaras face before she settles beside me on the bench.

"Hera wanted me to win you know." Her voice is almost a whisper.

I stay quiet at that. It was an unspoken rule to not discuss anything regarding what happened yesterday because of how none of us were in good shape, but i guess Alara missed Hera's company too much.

The duo in the trio. I smile at the thought.
For some reason, it made me happy rather than jealous.

"Alright everyone, gather around. I want you all to know that your assignments and work is being checked thoroughly right now, including today's. Your next task will be on combat."

I stifle a groan.
Since Im going to opt out by losing, this would mean ill have to earn bruises.
Ugh.

"Since we have alot of contestants, we have given you guys specific days. Your opponent will be announced before the fight so make sure to practice as much as you can, that is all."

I glance at Alara, whos already staring at me.

"Imagine if im your opponent." She says, causing me to roll my eyes.

"You just want a chance to beat me up."

"Real." She muses and my lips twitch.

"Saturday ?" I ask, scowling. "I wanna go home already."

Rose looks at me in pity. "I wish i could help you in that regard."

I roll my eyes. "Dont be dramatic, youre doing enough, amazing actually."

Her cheeks redden at the compliment.

"When's Alara and Emma going to have their fights?"

"Emma has hers in two hours, she's practicing with Samantha. Im glad they made up."

My eyes widen. "SHE WHAT? RIGHT NOW??"

Rose sighs. "Yeah, you cant be there though, you know the rules. Only the voters and their protectors are allowed."

I bite my lower lip. Alara's combat skills arent up to date, but she's a great fighter nonetheless. And who knows that better than me, her partner?

As if reading my thoughts, Rose interrupts them. "Dont worry, she'll do great. Alara has hers tomorrow."