Cɦɑpteɾ 37

♬ Half awake, taking your chance
It's a big mistake
I said it might blow up in your pretty face ♬

Charles Leclerc POV

We spent some days on the yacht, and they were probably the best days of my life. Lucas was a whole different kid. His face beamed with joy every time she was around. I was used to him calling her mom by now, and she was definitely taking the role seriously. It scared the hell out of me because I felt like she might be what we were missing, the missing piece.

I think spending most of the summer break at home was exactly what the three of us needed. A lot of family time and one or other date night for the both of us. I can't complain.

"Fuck!" She mutters angrily as she grabs her hand, and I run to her side.

"What? You got hurt?" I ask worriedly, and she shakes her head.

"I think I fucked my nail when I was moving a box in the room," she bites her lip in pain as she leans her head back, putting her finger underneath the cold water she turned on.

"Can I help you? Can I pay for it to be fixed? Can it be fixed?" I'm confused, and she laughs it off.

"It's fine. I have maintenance tomorrow, I will be fine. I think it was just a thing in the moment; it happens sometimes," she says calmly, and I nod.

"I will pay either way," I inform her as her eyes find mine.

"I get paid enough for my nails, Charles. Thank you, though," she says as she lightly taps my shoulder with her free hand.

"In which room were you in?" I ask with a smirk.

"Lucas."

"So you got hurt while helping my son? In my house? I sure should pay, right?" I knew I had her cornered when her eyes darted from her finger to me in a split second.

"You won't shut up about it, will you?" She asks, and I shake my head. "Pay it, I don't care."

And I went with her the next day to make sure she would let me pay.

"I can come back in two hours, right?" I ask and nods frustrated by my forced presence, she was not pleased to see me waiting for her 15 minutes ago.

"Mom," Lucas calls and she looks behind.

"Yes baby?" She asks curiously, the annoyance leaving her voice instantly.

"Can I choose?" He asks excitedly.

"Of course! Do you want to come in?" she asked as excitedly as he did, and I was left there.

I went home and came back to get them. I exited the car and entered the salon, meeting with the receptionist and paying for the nails before Natalie came out with Lucas.

"Dad!" Lucas runs to me, and I pick him up as I try to catch a glimpse of Nat's nails.

"It's paid for," the receptionist tells her, and Nat side-eyes me before heading out.

"Look at mommy's nails," he whispers, and I do so as I buckle him in; she is on her phone, and I finally see it.

Her nails were red, but her ring finger stood out the most, as the number 16 was painted yellow on both. I looked at my son, and he smiled sneakily.

(This is what I was going for, but with the 16)

"Why?" I ask curiously.

"Why not?" He shrugged, and I wondered if he had seen anything. If he had, it didn't bother him because he acted as usual.

"That's my boy!" I say proudly as I mess up his hair, and he giggles.

"How about going for ice cream?" Nat asks as she puts down her phone.

"Yes!" Lucas screams excitedly.

I took another look at her nails before driving off with a smile. I parked the car at home, and we went to the nearby park where we picked up the ice cream, and I sat with her as Lucas was on the swings. But Natalie soon joined him, and I enjoyed it from afar, taking some pictures and videos.

"Charles!" I hear Sylvie's voice, and I roll my eyes before I put my phone down.

"Leave," I said, not looking at her. My eyes were focused on the brunette who was laughing with my son.

"What a cute little family, uh?" Her tone is contemptuous, and I chuckle.

"Better than the one you pretend to belong in. You really abandoned your kid to play pretend with another guy's kid when, in reality, you probably want his money like you did with me," I am defensive. She deserves nothing.

"And why do you think she is here? Because she loves him? Because she loves you? Please, Charles. Who would love a kid who isn't hers? She is young; she can have a kid herself," she is demeaning everything Natalie was, and I was pissed.

"She does love him. Get the fuck out, Sylvie. Go spit your venom to whoever might believe it," I say angrily, and she laughs.

"Enjoy it while it lasts; her money won't last forever, and neither will both of your happiness," she says, and my whole body seems to fail me in that moment.

"What?" I ask surprisedly.

"Nothing. Enjoy it, Charles; call me when you regret trusting her. No woman will love you like I did," she leans in, and her finger touches my lips before I push her hand away.

"Get out!" I am not playing now. I'm pissed, I don't want her hands remotely close to me, they disgust me.

"I will see you soon, world champion," she winked before leaving and I looked for Lucas, who was nowhere to be seen until I saw them talking to another mom and kid.

"He is a gentleman; he was raised well," the woman said as I approached them.

"My son is a little gentleman; his dad is the same," she says proudly, and I completely forgot Sylvie's words. She was always good at gaslighting, manipulating, and trying to make me believe the words she said.

"Time to go?" Lucas asks, and I smile.

"Grandma is waiting for dinner," I say and he nods.

"It was nice to meet you," Natalie says as she waves them goodbye.

"This was cool," Lucas says as he walks ahead of us.

"Is everything alright?" Natalie asks as her hand goes to mine, and I nod and smile at her.

"I had to send Sylvie away. She had these stupid stories, and I just had no patience. She acts like I would forget how much of a liar she is." I decide to be honest, and she nods.

"Just communicate, and we will be fine. She can't get to him. If she wants to get to me, let her come. I can deal with her," she said confidently, and my smile widened.

"You sure can," and I stopped myself from kissing her as we approached our building, and I saw her car there parked.

"Time to go, baby. See you soon! Belgium, right?" she asks him, and he nods. She picks him up and hugs him.

"Be safe," he says, and she nods.

"You will be there soon to protect me," she says confidently as she puts him down and gives me a quick hug.

"I will call you later," I say as I open the car door for her and she leaves after giving me a wink.

She will be in Belgium tomorrow, and I will join her in 2 days; there is nothing much to happen except the calls I heard Lucas receiving in the mornings and before going to bed for those two days.