Cɦɑpteɾ 4

♪ Sometimes you just break down
When this life tries to wreck you, I protect you ♪

Natalie Beaufoy POV

I like that little kid, I wish I could've just ignored everyone when I was a kid. I can't do it now, so props to him for managing to commit to it. His little giggles honestly warmed my heart. I think he will be the best part of my day. He likes my sense of humor so that is something even better.

I am thankful to my dad for paying for that first-class ticket or I never would've met this adorable kid. Never would Ferrari pay their staff for a first-class ticket but my dad said the difference wasn't much so he did it, happily.

I was at the garage, they wanted me to stay there in case something might go wrong. I took a few looks at the screen close by, seeing that the qualifying session had just started. Ferrari is having a good year, and Charles is having a better one. He could be fighting for the championship.

"You can watch it, you don't need to be looking at the screen sneakily," the other guy from the plane says and I nod.

"Well, thank you for informing me," I say as I let out a laugh.

"I'm Lorenzo, Charles' oldest brother," he says as he gives me his hand to shake.

"I'm Natalie," I say as I shake his hand and he smiles.

"How did you make Lucas like you? He seems to hate everyone, we tried everything but he never talks," Lorenzo says and I could sense his curiosity.

"I wish I could give you an answer but I just talked to him, I didn't make anything. Maybe the candies helped me," I laugh as I finish talking and so did he.

"Yeah, we tried to bribe him too, didn't work," Lorenzo informs me as I look into the chair where Lucas is, with his eyes locked on his phone. He looks up at me and gives me a shy smile and I smile back.

"Did you know that being so close to that screen can make your vision really bad? You have such pretty eyes, there is no need for you to wear glasses. Your daddy is working, don't you want to watch?" I say calmly as he puts down his phone and he shrugs.

He looked at the screen where Charles' car could be seen, he was interested but it seemed like he wanted to hide it, he quickly looked around and saw his uncle watching him.

"Why do you pretend not to care?" I ask feeling a hint of concern and curiosity. Did he feel like a burden? Is that why he kept to himself?

"I don't," he simply says, he is a stubborn kid, I have to admit that.

"Have you ever sat in the car? It seems so cool!" I change the subject and see the little spark in his eyes before he shakes his head. "Oh, we will have to arrange that! I will talk to your dad and we will get you in that car."

He shook his head and he would've convinced me if it wasn't for the tinniest smile on his lips, he wanted that. He likes his dad, he doesn't hate him.

I got back to work and Lorenzo joined Lucas the rest of the afternoon. I was all over the place and I went back to the garage when only a few people were left. I went to get my backpack and I saw that Lorenzo, the dark-blond guy, and Charles were still there but preparing to leave.

I looked at the time, only two hours had gone by since qualifying which meant that the car could be touched, and the car was getting ready to leave the garage so I raced to their side.

"Hm, I'm sorry to interrupt but can I give you a word Charles?" I ask and he is obviously curious but he just smiles as Lucas looks up at me surprised. He thought I had left and forgotten my promise.

"What's happening?" Charles asks preparing to leave their side.

"It's not like a private conversation. It's just that I talk to your mini version and he is very eager to get inside your car. There are few people here, I thought you could give him that experience," I comment and I see the three men looking down at the small child whose eyes seem to be reticent of this conversation, he is nervous.

"What? But he never wanted to. He never even wanted to be in the garage all day," Charles is completely dumbfounded and I nod.

"He says he doesn't to but he does. I can see it, he is a tricky one," I insist and Charles kneels down to his son's height.

"Do you want to do it? We can definitely do it," Charles says with a gentle tone, Lucas looks at him nervously and then at me, I nod and give him a thumbs up.

"Come on little guy, you are all in red, why not get in that pretty car like your dad does every day? I will record it for you," I say excitedly and he looks at his dad before nodding.

"Mattia! Give us a few minutes with the car please, the little guy wants to see what is like." Charles's excitement was palpable, he was grinning from ear to ear and Mattia seemed surprised, he ordered the team to stop and stood close by also looking.

"I need to call mom, she would hate to miss this," the younger guy says and I smile, they are a tight-knit family and they love this little one. So why is he so fearful and nervous at a young age? Was it his mom?

"He is Arthur by the way, and thank you. This means a lot, knowing he actually cares," Lorenzo whispers and I smile.

Their mom picks up and Arthur tells her what is happening, she is delighted and I hears some selective words to herself for not being here to see it. I just decided to watch, I can watch, I made this happen in some kid of way.

Someone from Ferrari's social team was also recording, it's an adorable moment, one that Charles will want to cherish because Lucas is a closed-off kid, I get it, I was raised by a single parent and it can be tough if the other parents simply got up and left, which my mom has done. And looking at him, I think his mom has done it too.