Cɦɑpteɾ 3

♪ And this world can throw you over the track sometimes
Your friends can stab you in the back ♪

Charles Leclerc POV

Seeing my son eating some strange woman's sandwich should've rang alarm bells in my head, however, I find myself amused by how he seemed to somehow like her. He would never even look in a stranger's direction, much less accept candies and sandwiches from them. She happened to be a member of the team but she was a strange girl on the plane.

I could see that my brothers were thinking the same as we sat in the back of the van that was taking us from the airport to the hotel. Lucas was quiet the whole ride, he gave me his phone, which meant that the battery was gone.

I was intrigued so I did what any concerned parent would do, I asked around about new hirings and I got my answer. Natalie Beaufoy, IT department, first time helping out at the race track. Incredible resumé and also incredible work since being hired.

Nothing was more incredible than the fact that my son sympathized with her in his own way. I only saw a glimpse of her on Saturday, she was at the garage, checking every piece of equipment, and then went into the pit wall.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask excitedly as I see Lorenzo and Lucas coming in my direction, I was more surprised that he was looking around instead of being locked on his phone or looking to the floor.

"Look who it is! The cutest little guy on the paddock!" A staff member says with a high-pitched voice, the ones used to speak to babies, he looks at her and quickly accelerates his pace to get to my side.

"He wanted to come here, for some reason," Lorenzo says and I am even more surprised that their appearance has come from my son's initiative.

"Lucas! Did anybody tell you that you look good in red?" Natalie's voice is heard and no high-pitched or annoying voice is heard, he looks up at her and shakes his head. "Well, I will tell you. You look very good in red."

"How do you know his name?" Lorenzo asks confusedly.

"Oh, he told me. Is that some type of secret? I am so sorry!" She instantly worries and I shake my head.

"No! But, did he talk to you? He seriously never talks to anyone, at all," I mention still shocked and she nods nonchalantly.

"Yeah, I asked him and he told me. I think he is just someone of short words. He even thanked me in French, he is pretty smart. I bet he just chooses who to talk to, he is wise, and he can do it while he has the luxury to." She is so calm about it and treats him like an adult, is that what he prefers?

"Well, that's definitely a possibility," Lorenzo says as he clearly thinks about her words.

"Natalie! I've seen you've met Charles and his adorable boy, is there something I can do for you?" Mattia asks excitedly and she shakes her head.

"No, everything is going just fine. I should get going," she says as she messes with Lucas's hair and I swear I saw a smile on his face, a small one, but I did.

"Do you like Natalie?" I ask as I kneel down to his height and he shrugs. "It was more of a yes or no but that means you like her then. You shake your head normally."

He gave me his hand and came with me as I talked to Xavi and Mattia. Until I feel him trying to pull his little hand out, I look down and notice where he is focused, Natalie. What does she have that attracted him? I mean, she is gorgeous but I don't think that's what my son is thinking.

"Keep a close eye, please," I ask Lorenzo who was a few steps away from us on his phone and  he nods, following Lucas but even Xavi and Mattia stop to watch. Lucas has his own antisocial fame, he is a real demon when he wants.

"You again. What is it now?" She asks curiously turning to him because he pulled lightly the hem of her Ferrari shirt to have her attention. "Yeah, I forgot you are a bit of an introvert so this is a bit hard. How do we communicate then?"

My son stopped in his tracks for a few minutes before giving her his phone.

"You want my number? I can't do that, you are a bit too young for my taste, and I am not patient enough to wait 15 years for it to be minimally legal. You got it, don't you? It's not you, it's me." She was obviously joking but I finally heard it out loud, the giggling.

He giggles in response and her smile widens as she takes the phone and gives him the number he seemed to want so badly. But I am dumbfounded at how easily and effortlessly this woman made my son giggle. I wish it was me making him giggle, and I know it's selfish but fuck, it would've felt like I was doing something right.

"Lucas seems to be improving," Mattia comments surprised with all he is seeing and hearing and I just nod as I take that scene.

"Okay, here you have my number. But, beware that I don't think you should start being a womanizer this young. If I know about another staff female number there I will be very jealous of that," she tries to remain serious and he nods as he smiles, full teeth showing.

He fucking smiled at her and I smiled, I think I was almost crying because I thought this kid would always be frowning or ignoring people but he is fine. He can be happy and I would like to know how. How does she do that?

"Call me if you need a sandwich or candies, that seems to be our type of date. I will wait for a call," she says as she finally puts the phone in his hands.

"Bye," Lucas's soft voice is heard and I feel my heart skipping a beat.

"Can she be on permanent duty on the race track?" I ask Mattia and he seems surprised.

"I mean, she is doing a good job. If she were interested I could speak to her. We will see how the weekend goes." He says with a comprehensive tone and I take a deep breath.

"Thank you."