Jordan Nobbs - Wingwoman

"Jordan what are you doing?" leaning over the back of the sofa to see your best friend flicking through her ex girlfriend's Instagram photos again; "this isn't healthy; it's been 3 months since you broke up!". Throwing her head back to look up at you, her eyes in her forehead because she'd heard you say that one too many times. Your words clearly hadn't sunk in as she's still stalking her ex, snatching the phone out of her hand and shoving it into your back pocket and walking away. "We're going out tonight, I'll be your wing woman" you called back to her from the kitchen, Jordan whined your name in frustration as she watched you swan out of the room "but I don't want to go out!" she shouted through to the kitchen. "Tough shit, you need to get over her and the best way to do that is getting under someone else" you said as you handed her a glass full of whatever alcohol that was left over from your last house party.

"What about Ona? I saw you two flirting on the pitch the other day" you teased her. "What are you talking about?" Jordan asked trying to cover her cheeks that were turning red, she knew exactly what you were talking about but continued to deny any knowledge of it. Jumping onto the sofa next to her and opening TikTok you scrolled through the copious amounts of edits of the "you were" comment after Jordan was offside. "That wasn't flirting!" her tone turned defensive "are you sure, cause those eyes guuuurl they ain't nothing!" shoving your phone into her face. It was hard to deny the clear and obvious evidence of flirty behaviour between them both. "Shut up!" she snapped elbowing you in your ribs as she got up to walk away, soon realising you still had her phone and demanding it back. Standing up you towered over her waving the phone above her head, "when you can reach it, you can have it!" you smirked knowing there was no way your tiny friend would be able to. Folding her arms and glaring at you she knew there wasn't any point in trying to win her phone back. Jordan being only 5ft3 and you 5ft9 meant you weren't intimidated by her stance, telling her to find something cute to wear before running away to your room and locking it behind you.

A few hours passed when you returned to the kitchen to mix another concoction before proceeding to Jordan's room. "You better be ready!" you called out before opening the door, clapping your hands gleefully at the sight of her dressed up and ready to go. Handing her the cocktail of mysterious liquid you ordered the taxi "where are we even going?" she asked while spraying perfume on her neck and wrists. "The only place you need to go to get over an ex.. Coyotes!" - your local gay bar in Birmingham. "I've never been to a gay bar!" Jordan seemed a little apprehensive "well there's no better time than the present is there?" you tipped the glass up from underneath as she sipped so she'd down your awful tasting drink making her wince. "They're so intimidating!" her whinging had started again and you could not bare it. Walking up behind your friend to untuck the hair from her blazer, you looked at each other through the mirror "Jordy, don't you always have a good time with me?" your words pandering for compliments of your immaculate track record of nights out. "Debatable!" she scoffed. Your eyes shot daggers at her through the glass until she gave in, "yessss!" she agreed with an eye roll just to shut you up. "Thank you! Now let's go and find you a wife!"

Leaving the taxi you dragged your best friend into the club. You were so excited when you heard she was transferring to Aston Villa, you'd first met in England's U15s and have been friends ever since. You've never been on the same team before and now you get to live with your bff, winding her up every single day just like you're both 13 again.

"I don't know where to put my eyes!" Jordan shouted over the music then looked to the floor to avoid any and all eye contact. Drag queens on the stage, scantily dressed people dancing on podiums... to be fair to her, there was a lot going on. Taking her hand to lead her to the bar, you ordered your first drinks then set up shop by the pool table allowing her to get used the the atmosphere. She only had to keep her eyes on you, the balls and who was winning. You let her win to build her confidence cause that's what friends do and after a few games and drinks she had warmed up to her surroundings. Taking her blazer off to go and dance, she tried to entice you over with her awful moves while you tried to scout out a good match for her. Laughing from the sidelines you thought she'd never find someone to spend the night with if her dance moves are anything to go by so you went over to help her find her rhythm. Standing behind her and holding her hips to get her into the groove of the music, you then backed off to give her some room to shine.

Your bestie deserves the world and you're so fed up of her still pining over her ex, you never liked her anyway and didn't see what Jordan saw in her. She deserves someone who cherishes her and explains the jokes she doesn't understand, not take the piss out of her. Jordan was always the butt of her jokes, always showing her up in front of her friends and demanded she stayed at the club she was at even though she wasn't progressing there.

Frustratingly watching on as a few contenders came close but soon backed away when Jordan didn't talk to them, you made your way back over to her. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" you shouted so she could hear, she shrugged like she didn't have a clue what you were talking about. "You're not gonna go home with someone if you don't talk to them!" you tried to encourage her. "What am I meant to say?" she replied. You were getting fed up with her 'I don't have a clue how to be a human being' act and started responding sarcastically - something Jordan knows all too well happens when you're frustrated. "Oh I don't know, anything! You literally said nothing!" your voice now becoming exasperated with shouting over the music. "Okay okay, what about how's the weather?" she laughed at your expense. She knew exactly what she was doing, she hadn't got through 30 years of life without knowing how to talk to people. "Oh my god Jord! Weather really gets a girl in the mood! You're not even trying!" the sarcasm taking over you now, there was no going back - sarcastic bitch is now your personality for the evening. "That's because I don't want to try!" she told you forcefully.

If you were a good friend, you'd have stopped pushing. But you're a great friend, so you didn't. "Are you seriously telling me there's no one here you think is remotely attractive?" holding her shoulders and encouraging her to look around. Jordan glanced from the dance floor and to the bar before her eyes dropped back onto you. "Well there is one, I guess.." her voice seemed uncertain but you were glad you were finally getting somewhere. "Great! Tell me who and I'll set you up" unable to contain the excitement that was brewing with the mission. "I can't!" she shook her head smiling, breaking your hopes and your patience. "Well just show me then!" your eye widened in pure irritation. Jordan held your gaze for a few seconds until you got impatient and hurried her along with her decision "come on!!". Taking your shirt into her fist and yanking it down to bring your head closer to hers so she could reach your face, she bravely and unhesitatingly kissed you.

Your eyes still open in shock at what was happening and a look of confusion on your face caused her to stop and break apart from you. Staring at each other in the middle of the dance floor surrounded by bodies, your eyes and mouths wide open in panic. Your blank expression caused Jordan's face to turn bright red as she turned and sprinted towards the exit. Grabbing your coats and bags you followed her outside into the night, your long legs managing to climb 3 steps at a time meaning you swiftly caught up with her, yelling her name into the darkness begging her to stop. You had no idea where she was heading, just running down the street in the middle of winter without her jacket on.

Luckily you're a footballer who knows how to keep pace as you grabbed her arm to stop her going any further, spinning round to look at you her words came out so quickly that you barely had time to process what she was saying. "I'm sorry! I don't know what I was doing, it's the drink, I don't want to ruin our friendship!" her head fell into her hands firmly embarrassed about what she'd done. "You don't need to apologise Jordy, I didn't know you felt that way about me" you said calmly, placing your hand on her shoulder to reassure her you weren't judging. "I- I don't" she stammered which is her tell when she's lying. Slumping down with her on a nearby bench to try and get the truth out of your friend, liquid confidence now wearing off you wrapped her blazer around her shoulders. "When did this start?" you asked her gently, wanting her to know you're still her best friend and care about her deeply. "Since I met you" she looked down at her shoes to avoid your eye contact. "That was 17 years ago Jord!" you said shocked that she'd been keeping this in for nearly two decades. "I know! We were young and didn't know what it meant to love someone, let alone another girl. Then we grew up and went to different clubs and we didn't see each other as much, we both got in and out of relationships at different times and I thought I'd rather have you as my friend than nothing at all. I didn't know if you felt the same way and I just didn't want to jeopardise anything but now we play for the same team, we're both single, we live together and those feelings just came flooding back. I was looking at her photos to stop myself from thinking about you." You let her finish what she had to say, it took a lot for you not to interrupt her and when she finally looked up from the floor, you didn't know how to tell her what you wanted to say. Holding her cheek you brought her face closer to yours, trying this again as your lips locked together, eyes closed and taking your time. Her hands moved into your hair as your second kiss of the night became deeper before pulling apart again. Jordan's face looking relieved and slightly shell shocked - "I didn't want to find someone to go home with cause I only ever want to go home with you" she smiled.