Revelations

Gwain doesn't know why he is doing this. No, scratch that. That would be a lie. He does know why, he just doesn't know or understand why he doesn't stop himself.

Merlin had been beside himself these past few days. First, because of his apparent quarrel with Lancelot, and now because of Gaius's sudden disappearance.

He'd marched into the physician's chambers, hoping to check up on the man, maybe offer himself as an aid in whatever endeavor the young servant was facing.

However, as he got there, he couldn't help but hesitate.

He listened from his place of hiding behind the door, to Lancelot and Merlin's conversation. Even in the midst of whatever argument they had going on, the two men were still as thick as thieves.

They were hunched over the desk, looking at something together, whispering careful plans to each other. He could see the remnants of tension hanging in the air between them, however, it seemed that Gaius's disappearing was more essential than whatever disagreement they'd had.

Despite the urge to join them, something inside of him called for his body to remain where it was. Silently looking on as both men suddenly got to their feet and rushed to the exit. Following close behind he made sure to stay hidden as they mounted their horses and rode off out of the gate. He too, didn't waste a second before riding off with his own trusted steed.

If Merlin truly was right, and Gwaine learned long ago that it was usually the case, then Gaius really had been kidnapped, and so, they would need backup. However, if by some kind of strange, inconceivable turn of events, Gaius turned out to really be a traitor, then Gwaine would also be there to hopefully pick up the pieces left behind. Merlin was, after all, one of his closest friends.

His very first friend.

And so he followed, never losing their trail as they made their way into a gloomy cave he now recognized as the Ridge of Chemary, a point of rest they had taken once on his patrols with the knights.

Although, he doesn't remember it being so gloomy.

The air in the cave was thick and dusty, a dryness seemed to stick to the walls and the earth beneath his feet, making the oxygen itself feel heavy. He watched equally as quiet and hidden as the duo fought against a couple of armed brutes and then split up. With little hesitation, he followed Merlin through a couple more winding turns down the cavern, trusting Lancelot to take care of himself on his own.

What he doesn't expect, however, is for Morgana herself to suddenly appear in front of them.

____________________________

The hidden cave was a hollow maw, its walls bathed in the eerie glow of the dim torches lining the rough-hewn stone. Gwaine crouched in the shadows, his heart pounding with every pulse of the dark magic coursing through Morgana's fingertips. He knew little of magic, but the malevolence he felt emanating from her was undeniable.

Merlin, the boy he'd shared countless tales, laughter, and battles with, now stood at the heart of this ominous encounter. He was no longer the jovial, bumbling servant but a figure of resolute determination. His eyes, once pools of deep blue with hidden mirth, now gleamed with fierce intent.

"When will you stop being a thorn in my side, Merlin." She spat his name as if it were a curse. "I will enjoy finally getting rid of you once and for all."

Gwaine could barely comprehend the sight before him as he watched Morgana's wickedness unfold. His first instinct was to lunge forward, to defend his friend. Yet, he hesitated, feeling that somehow, he'd only make it worse by interfering. Fingers clenching around his sword, he decided that for once, he wouldn't act rashly.