Chapter Twenty Three

"Where is it?" Havel demanded, turning on me, his eyes fixed in a fiery glare. Panic set in his voice. "Where is it, Nyx?"

I cowered. "I-I don't know. It should've been here."

He fell to his knees and let out an anguished screech. "Nooooooooooooo!" The disappointment and pain etched on his face was serious.

Standing there awkwardly, I began to wonder if I was safe down here with a man who was mad with grief and disappointment. I scanned the room for any sign of the Phoenix Stone or what might have happened to it.

After what felt like forever I said hesitantly, "Havel? I think...that maybe we should go back now."

Without a word, Havel got to his feet and stood there, his head bowed, tears dripping down his long nose.

"So...I'm taking that as a yes?" I asked apprehensively, taking a step towards the doorway.

Still silent, he walked after me.

"Okay then..." I turned and walked through the doorway only to bump into something very tall, very wide, and very much alive.

"Where do you think you're going, little girl?" a deep voice rumbled as a blue face peered down at me through bright yellow eyes. "We've got orders to keep you down here until She says otherwise."

I took a step back and glared at the Enchantiss guard. "What do you mean? Are you saying that Nalrae has already been down here, gotten the Phoenix Stone, and then sent us down here as well to 'find' it?"

"Uhh," he rumbled, "yes?"

"How dare she!" I shouted, my anger bubbling over. "She has no right to send us down here when she already has it! I was the one who—"

"A better question," said a silky female voice, "would be, how did she manage to get the Phoenix Stone before you."

The owner of the voice stepped out from behind the Enchantiss guard.

"Nalrae," I growled, glaring at her.

She was holding something in her hand, something very bright, something that made the entire room glow with a warm light.

I gasped.

The Phoenix Stone was bigger than I'd expected but otherwise it looked exactly how it had in my dream.

"Yes, well," she said, admiring the palm sized stone, "I just couldn't wait a whole day for you to come down here and fetch it so I just did it myself."

"But how??! I never told you how to get down here!"

She laughed. "Oh Nyx, when will you realize that I'm more powerful than I seem?" Seeing the confused look on my face she continued. "I searched your memories for the dream then tellied down here to fetch the stone."

My confusion disappeared, instantly replaced by anger. "You searched my memories?!"

"Yes, Nyx. That's what I said. Though I must say," she said, stroking the Phoenix Stone, an oddly happy smile on her face, "you have some of the most interesting memories of all the people I've ever searched. We'll have to talk about them some time."

"Yeah, like when I'm lying down here, nothing but skull and bones," I muttered sarcastically.

She laughed again, a very forced, fake sound. "Not quite. Let's talk now, shall we?"

"No," I gritted. "What I would like to do is go home to a nice warm supper, wash myself, and go to bed, not talk to you."

"Very well," she said, her smile disappearing. She turned to where Havel was standing, head still bent, silent as before. "And you, Havel—"