Chapter 5 The Fourth Golden Boy

I managed to persuade Tom to come with me to Revival Cafe after school without Jules finding out. I wondered what Pierce had planned—if I had to guess, I think he intended to make Tom one of them, a golden boy. Wonder what Jules would say to that.

I went home and changed out of my uniform before heading out and opted for a white layered skirt and a cute cantaloupe-colored blouse paired with a beige trench coat and ankle boots. I thought I might as well dress up since Pierce would be there and I kind of wanted to wow him—I knew he liked it when I dressed up all cute and girly. Can't believe I wanted to impress him...

But I wasn't prepared to see Matteo there too. I got a jolt when I saw both his and Pierce's car outside the cafe and my brain froze when I saw both of them at a table inside. Oh CRAP.

I walked in with Tom, frantic questions riveting through my head. What on earth was Matteo doing here?! Did Pierce bring him along? Why?!

"Thea, hey. Wow, you look amazing," Matteo greeted me with a wide smile, his eyes appreciating my figure. He didn't look surprised to see me. Huh, so he expected me—I didn't. I smiled at him, hiding my nervousness before glancing at Pierce for an explanation but he was too busy checking me out. Urgh. Me and my big idea, dressing up.

"So, er, I heard you guys wanted to see me? I don't know what this is about..." Tom said awkwardly, breaking the silence. Pierce shook his head as if waking up from a reverie and spoke.

"Join the party, Tom. Matteo will explain everything. Why don't I get us refreshments? Tom, what'll you have?"

"Just a coffee," he replied.

"Okay, and it's a cappuccino for Matt. Thea? You wanna help me with the orders?" I heard the meaningful hint in Pierce's voice and followed him to the counter, grim-faced.

"What the heck, Pierce?! Matteo being here totally caught me off guard! What is he doing here? What did you tell him?!" I hissed at him.

"Relax babycakes, Matt's here to help. I just gave him a lowdown on Harrison's situation. And FYI, I invited him to protect you." His tone hardened at the end. I faltered at that.

"I don't understand."

"How do you think it'll look if Harrison went around saying he hung out with you and me alone at a cafe? Matteo wouldn't have overlooked the fact that his girlfriend was spending an evening with his cousin. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't tell him yourself. I had to get it across to him at the last minute when I found out you didn't tell him." I looked away from him, stung by the fact that he was right. And it was frustrating.

"Thanks," I said curtly. He gave a humorless smile.

"You're welcome. Now tell me what you want to order." I turned back and scanned the menu on the wall.

"A golden crema," I replied. Pierce gave my order as well as everyone else's. I noticed he ordered a nitro cold brew.

"You're not a regular latte kind of person?" I asked, unbending towards him a little.

"And you're not an ordinary girl either, judging from your choice," he said, indicating my order.

"Well I am dating a couple of golden boys," I said snarkily. At least I could be honest with him about that.

"So a golden crema for a golden girl," he said with a smirk. I met his gaze and saw that his smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Naturally," I replied, playing along. He kept silent for a minute as our orders were prepared.

"By the way, get that pretty blush out of your cheeks before you come to the table," he said abruptly. I frowned.

"I'm not blushing."