Kenza Dali - 2025

"Your contract runs out soon doesn't it?" directing the question to your best friend on the team - Kenza Dali. She'd been with the team for a year now and the thought of her leaving tore you up inside. You've had so much fun with her since joining Villa at the same time last year - you signed a 3 year contract and Kenza had signed one. You had heard of the French midfielder but hadn't met before, on your first training session something just clicked and you've been attached at the hip ever since. You had even suggested becoming roommates a few weeks ago with the hope she'd have told you she was staying but her vague answer of "we'll see what happens" filled you with no confidence at all. You've had the time of your life this season, the link up between the two of you felt flawless and natural. Trying desperately everything you could think of to make her stay - meals out, trips to places close by, she even came on house viewings with you but the woman continued to remain neutral and it was driving you insane.

"Yeahhh" the word drawn out in her French accent sank yet another nail into the Villa coffin. "Have you decided what you're doing yet?" Sarah tried to pull an answer out of her to no avail. The whole team had been trying to get her to spill her plans but she'd been coy with everyone. Another "no, not yet" left her mouth causing the circle to collectively roll their eyes and fall onto their backs, leaving Kenz the only one sitting up right she chuckled softly at you all. "You lot are all losers! Why do you care so much?" rolling her Rs in a fashion that was jokey yet frustrated with all the questions. Chimes rang out among the team of why we want Dali to stay - the food she makes us, the jokes, self proclaimed mum of the team; she keeps us grounded and we love her. Kenza Dali is a huge part of why Aston Villa did so well this season, can she blame us for not wanting her to leave?

"Has Carla offered it to you yet?" Alisha asked, rolling onto her stomach and sitting up onto her elbows causing a domino effect with the rest of the team. Kenz still the only one sitting cross legged made it look like story time with the children. "Guuuys, stop with all the questions pleease!" whinging as she pulled herself onto her feet to walk away from the group. You and Rachel immediately wrapped yourselves around her legs so she couldn't go anywhere. You know how you would to your parents when you were little? She tried with all her might to get away but with both of you dragging her down it was impossible as she fell down causing the rest of the team to bundle on top. With one last game left it was like the last day of school - being left to mess around after the necessary training was finished. It was a lovely day and instead of leaving you were enjoying the sunshine on the pitch.

Kenza's shouts came from underneath the pile of people to let her go. All of you said you weren't going to move until she gave you all an answer. Kenza being Kenza stuck to her guns "okay, I'll just stay here all night then" she laughed until she couldn't breathe anymore and made a pact. She'll tell us if we get off of her.. so we did. One by one you pulled yourselves off the pile "tricked you!" she yelled as she made a run for it across the field and into the gym. Groans came from the group as you watched her disappear into the building.

The last game of the season came and went, Kenz didn't play as she was injured and the team list of people not returning next season had been published - Dali wasn't on it which gave you hope. You'd invited the team over to yours for a meal before you all went your separate ways for the summer but your bestie still hadn't arrived. Texts and phone calls were being ignored as you succumbed to the fact that she wasn't coming and sat down to eat with the others. Chatter amongst the girls filled the room as your mind was elsewhere, pushing your food around your plate instead of eating it. In a spiral of thoughts that you'd played your last game with her and would be too far apart to see her monthly let alone daily. Just as you took your last sip of wine there was a knock at the door. Raising from your chair to answer it your face lit up at the sight of the brunette on your door step. Duffel bag in hand made your expression turn quizzical.. "is the roommate offer still available?" she asked with a cheeky smile. "OH MY GOD!!" screaming so loud she dropped her bag to cover her ears, making the others leave the table and come running over. "Sorry I'm late guys, I was signing my contract" she laughed softly. Now met with louder screams from the rest of her teammates as she was carried inside, you ran to the fridge to grab the bottle of champagne that's been in there for weeks for this exact purpose. "Knew I wouldn't regret buying this!" beaming as you handed her the bottle. Shuffling outside for her to pop it, madness ensued. "To 2025!" she yelled as the cork flew out of the garden and into the darkness, cheers coming from the group in reiteration - "2025!"