SMELL

Author's Note: Hello everyone,

This is the final installation of "The Five Senses". Thanks for coming along for the ride. As always, you can find me on Instagram under the same name or join us on Discord (link in my Wattpad and Instagram bios).

SMELL

Setting: 1997

Jill nervously wrung her hands together as she contemplated attending the lingerie party. She wasn't a prude and was open to discussions about sex with her closest friends, but the idea of revealing too much about herself in front of the other women in the group made her uneasy. With Joe being a senator, the thought of potential judgment and gossip added to her anxiety. The last thing they needed was for The Enquirer to write some seedy story about the Senator from Delaware's raunchy sex life.

"Thanks for making the drive, Jillybean," she heard from behind her.

"Are we really doing this?" she asked Bonny, her sister, who simply laughed in response as she flicked a blonde, stray hair out of her eyes.

"Jill, you're not a delicate flower. Relax and enjoy some champagne," Bonny encouraged, handing her a flute. Jill took a deep breath and gulped down the drink. "It's just a gathering with familiar faces. You don't have to divulge anything if you don't want to. I just needed another seat filler to get a discount."

"Why me? There are 3 other sisters you could have chosen."

"Because," she said with a smirk. "You're the least judgemental."

Jill smiled at the revelation, knowing that she was the more experienced and less judgmental older sister made her feel a little proud of herself. It turns out that competition between sisters never truly dies, they just get better at being more subtle about it.

As she looked around the room, her anxiety started to lessen. These were safe people, and she was far enough from Wilmington, so the host might not even recognize her. Her eyes continued to scan the room and she practically choked when they landed on another familiar face. A far too familiar face, in fact.

"Val," Jill whispered to Bonny before smacking her in the arm, "I can't believe my own sister-in-law is here."

Bonny just grinned. "Oh, come on, I know you two talk about everything."

"Not everything," Jill whined.

Bonny shook her head and walked towards the group of women with Jill trailing half a step behind her.

"How did you even manage to get her number to invite her?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

Bonny shrugged nonchalantly. "I asked her at Ashley's party. She seemed pretty cool about it."

"You really enjoy making me uncomfortable, don't you?" Jill quipped with a playful smile.

Bonny chuckled and her lips formed the classic Jacobs smirk, "Kinda."

Jill grabbed another flute of champagne from the table and made her way over to Val. As she approached, she couldn't help but feel a mix of excitement and apprehension about the long night ahead of them.

She found it amusing to see Val's obvious discomfort. At that moment, Val seemed to be even more insecure about the situation than Jill herself, which strangely bought Jill some comfort.

"I don't know why I agreed to come here. Your sister is almost as convincing as you. The Jacobs women definitely have some influence over the Bidens," Val joked, laughing.

Jill tried to reassure her, suggesting that it might be good for Val to step out of her comfort zone.

"I'm well-acquainted with Catholic guilt. It's where I feel most at home," Val quipped.