Just breathe Chapter 23

Chapter 23 ~ Sarah

Silence is the loudest sound.

It’s been 2 hours and Macey hasn’t said anything. At all. Hasn’t explained anything about this situation, where are we driving? No clue. But Macey pipes up sometimes to tell me where to turn, but I have a good idea that we are going home.

I couldn’t take this silence.

“What the hell are we doing?” I asked as I turned down the radio.

Macey shifted in her seat, “ I have to find someone.” She answered.

“And that is ?…” I asked her as I turned off of the highway on to another long highway.

“Its complicated.” Macey said as she squirmed in her seat.

“Try me.” I told her, there’s no way that her problem’s are that complicated.

“Where do you want me to begin?” She asked as she leaned back in her seat.

“Well lets start on who we are going to see, that would help.” I told her in a harsh tone.

“Alex.” She said quietly.

“What for?” I asked curiously.

“To tell him I love him,” I looked at her confused. I thought she was going out with the guy, why is it so important that we go now?

“And this couldn’t wait because…”

“I liked someone else, so I had to chose someone, someone I want.

It felt like I was in a soap opera, who was this other guy? “Who’s the other guy?” I asked.

Macey sighed, “Do you really want to know?”

“Yes!” I told her as we passed the Welcome Friends! sign. The first time she said it I couldn’t hear her, but I felt a sudden jab when I heard her the second time. Jake. I should have seen it coming, I could tell the way Macey looked at him, the way she blushed when he smiled. I felt a sudden twist in my stomach.

“Your mad.” Macey said.

“No, I’m..” I couldn’t finish, because I didn’t know what I was, happy, sad, hurt, but not mad.

“Gosh, I feel bad, I mean I know he was yours first.” Macey said as she rolled down the window. “Turn left.” and I did.

“I know that he and I went out for a long time, but we are over now, and I like someone else.”

Macey’s mouth opened wide in shock, I haven’t told anyone about me and Jeremy. Its not that I don’t want anyone to know… I’m just nervous about people’s reaction, all I think people will say is “ she going out with him so she can probably have another baby.” or “ She just wants the sex.” Which I don’t want either.

“Who? Who?” Macey asked suddenly anxious. I don’t know if it was my face that gave it away but she knew. “ It’s Jeremy isn’t it? It is !” Macey was in shock, like a little kid hearing Santa was your parents. “ I’m surprised I thought after…” I knew what she was going to say, after I lost the baby he would run at the first chance he got and I honestly thought he was going to do that too. But I’m glad he didn’t because if he left, I…I don’t know how I would be right now.

Macey will hate me for asking this question. But I needed to know. “Do you remember that day the doctor told me I lost the baby?” I asked her,

I looked over at her, she was trying to focus on the road ahead of us, she nodded silently. “What happened with you and Jake that day?” I asked her, I turned my direction back towards the road.