Rediscovery at DreamWrights

October 14th, 2023

As the time for Spartan Serve, the volunteering event with DreamWrights, rolled around again, I found myself in a new role - that of Team Leader. It felt like a step up, a mark of importance. The familiar faces of Marisol and my friend Jess were expected companions, but one unexpected addition to our group stirred up excitement within me - Vivienne.

Despite the cold, rainy day, my spirits remained high. The bus ride was quiet, as usual, but my anticipation for the day ahead kept me buzzing with energy. Upon arriving at DreamWrights, we found ourselves waiting outside, unsure of which door to enter. But when it finally opened, it felt like a gateway to a world of fun awaiting exploration.

Like before, we were divided into groups, and Marisol, Vivienne, and I decided to tackle the attic, just as we had done the previous year. We reminisced and laughed as we discovered old treasures, like forgotten nail polish, which we applied to our ring finger nails in a shared moment of camaraderie.

As we began cleaning, the day took a turn towards the unexpected. I found myself playfully handcuffing Vivienne with pretend handcuffs, noticing her ease with the situation. When she struggled to reach a birdcage on a high shelf, I offered her a piggyback ride without a second thought. With her arms wrapped around my neck and her legs around my waist, I felt a sense of closeness and trust between us that warmed my heart.

But it was during a conversation about relationships and intimacy that things shifted. Vivienne revealed she was a virgin, and as she spoke about someone she liked being "out of her league," her gaze lingered on me. I brushed it off initially, but as the day progressed, I couldn't shake the thought from my mind.

Texting Marisol in a moment of vulnerability, I confessed my thoughts about Vivienne, only to find she felt the same way. Jealousy crept in as I watched Marisol's interactions with Vivienne, fearing she might make a move before I could gather the courage to express my own feelings.

Yet, amidst the uncertainty, I found myself drawn to Vivienne, eager to unravel the mystery of her admiration. Could it be that she felt the same way about me? The day was far from over, and I couldn't help but wonder what other surprises lay in store for us. Especially since I'd be heading to the Field of Screams later in the day, where I planned to text Vivienne.