"Hmm."I tapped the table with my fingers and thought for a moment. The clerk waited for me to gather my thoughts.

"Then I would like to know the list of people who have viewed Albert Letier's case records."

"Yes."

The list that the clerk found and handed me included Isen Creux, John Baptiste, and Jeffrey Orlando in addition to Albert Letier.

The clerk told me that Jeffrey Orlando had come to the police station just yesterday to request Albert Letier's records. He said that thanks to that, he was able to find the information I requested quickly.

I borrowed a pen and wrote down the names of the three people on a piece of paper.

As I was walking out of the document room, someone grabbed my shoulder. It was the short officer.

"Have you regained your memory?"

"Unfortunately, it's still the same."

"Oh, I see. Can you spare some time then?"

"Time?"

"I was just about to contact you, Professor. There are a few things I need to clarify in your statement. Do you have anything else to do?"

"I'm happy to spare some time."

The short man led me to a place with piles of documents. I saw a nameplate that said "Ravi Romain." There were documents stacked everywhere, and I could see a half-open cigarette box in between.

"Can you tell me again from the beginning what you said in your statement a few days ago?"

I obediently followed Romain's request. I remembered everything I had said in my statement that day, even the details.

The more I spoke, the more he grimaced. When I was finished, Romain said irritably,"It matches."

"Yes. Are the suspicious parts resolved now?"

"Well." He opened his eyes slightly. And he spoke slowly.

"I'm not accusing you of lying, Professor. We actually found your name in the guest book of the <Flower-Eating Inn>. It also matched the description of the person the employee gave. But don't you think there are a lot of strange things? If you think about it logically?"

"Logically?"

"Who on earth took you to that cheap inn, and why did they give you medicine made from some kind of herb called hada-something? The employee who cleaned the room said you left with your belongings. Why were your belongings left there? It's hard to understand. That's why I'm checking again. I want to see if there's anything we missed."

It was a reasonable suspicion.But I wasn't going to let it go. I had already told two professors and the president of the Royal Academy what I had reported to the police. I had also written a letter of resignation. The lie had taken root. If I pulled it out too hastily, it would hurt me.I looked Romain in the eye and answered.

"You're right. It's strange."

"Then......."

"It's the police's job to find out why, but since it happened to me, I've been thinking about it myself. Could it be that someone was trying to get rid of me?"

"Have you ever been threatened?"

"There were no direct threats, but there were a lot of notes with mean words written on them at my house. And when I went to work, everyone reacted strangely. I thought for a moment that there might be someone among them who was trying to hurt me."

"You seem to be a little on edge. If you've lost your memory, everything must seem suspicious to you, Professor."

"Is that so?"I smiled.

"I know why my portrait was at the police station. I'm a suspect in the Royal Academy embezzlement case. That's why I'm suspended. I have no family. I live alone. No one will find it strange if I don't go to work because I'm suspended."

"Don't talk about things that are irrelevant to the case, Professor. I'm not a idle man......."

"No, it is relevant. When someone dies, there is a body. The police will identify the body and find the culprit. But what happens if someone wakes up without any memory in a cheap inn that no one would find strange if they were hanging around?"

"Yes?"

"Wouldn't they starve or freeze to death on the streets? It's not cold enough these days for people to freeze to death, though."

"The murderers are simple!"

Romain slammed the table.

"It seems like you don't know because you haven't rolled around on this floor, Professor. Murderers are simple, they don't rely on such coincidences. They try to make sure their target is eliminated."

"It's possible that the police can't catch a complex murderer."

Truly intelligent people don't commit murder. They simply induce their target to commit suicide or have an accident.If someone dies by suicide or accident, no one looks for the culprit. So the murderer doesn't need to worry. I knew of at least one person who died that way.

Romain's face contorted. The blood drained from his fist. He seemed to think I was insulting the police. It was a statement that could be misunderstood, depending on how you heard it. I took a step back.

"I just wanted to say that you should always keep your options open. If I offended you, I apologize."

"It's fine."

Romain didn't seem to be in a good mood.

He told me he would contact me if there was any progress in the investigation and kicked me out. As I stepped outside the police station, the sky was ablaze with red. The sun had already set, even though we had only been talking for a short time.