26 Attempts at reconciliation

They all spent almost a week together on the beach on Euboea. It was almost like it had been a year ago: singing, dancing, swimming, playing soccer, water skiing, training, fighting, kissing, making love. At the weekend they performed at the tavern at noon, so the innkeeper profited a lot from the group. Once Nikos and Sandy got minor courier jobs, for which they went to the mainland for a day. For everybody else it was vacation, for a full six days.

On Thursday, the Athens airport experienced an invasion as everyone wanted to welcome Jürgen and Hans and Reiner from German TV. Even the Uptones hurried over from Piraeus. The first one to rush out of the terminal was Jürgen, all alone and without luggage. After he had hugged Helena, Martin showed him a small box.

"Aha, sand. From Euboea, I guess," Jürgen commented.

"No, from Africa," Martin said, and told him in brief about his and Tom's expedition. Then Jürgen and Martin's families arrived with mountains of luggage and found themselves surrounded by a whole horde of young people.

"We'll take you to the hotel," Sandy offered the surprised German families who had wisely booked rooms at the hotel on Strefi Hill, which was also marketed by a German tour operator. Everyone helped stow their luggage in the two rental cars.

"We'll be back when the guys from London arrive," Sandy promised and sped off with the two German couples. The others stayed at the airport and drank Nescafé in the cafeteria while Jürgen and Helena sat in a secluded corner and kissed.

***

"That's nice. Martin didn't overpromise," said Martin's mother who admired the view from the roof terrace of the hotel on Strefi Hill. "And you all live here?" she asked Sandy.

"Not all of us. I live with my boyfriend in Agios Andreas in Attica, but Randy stays here. We have three rooms in the house next door, and later two people from the London studio of German TV are moving in there, too. Tom and Martin stay in one of the rooms down there when they're not in Africa."

Sandy showed the German couples the courtyard of the building next door.

"Why Africa?" Martin's mother asked Sandy.

"I'm sure Martin will tell you all about it tonight. Let me just tell this for the time being: Tom and Martin were in Libya and they're probably going there again in a few days."

Martin's mother was alarmed:

"Martin was in Libya? I don't understand anything anymore. First they go to Ireland, then to Athens, and now to Africa?"

Martin's mother was really worried. Her husband understood only fragments, but what he did understand brought beads of sweat to his forehead:

"Isn't Libya the country where a young Captain chased away the king, and the Americans and the English along with him."

"That's right," confirmed Sandy. "He's a Colonel now, though. That happens fast if you sign the promotion document yourself."

Martin's father shook his head and asked:

"And what does your group have to do with Libya?"

Fortunately, at that moment Mr. Tsikos arrived with the obligatory welcome ouzo, and after all the disturbing news the German couples were in great need of it.

***

"I wonder who's picking us up," Reiner said to Hans as they waited at baggage claim at Athens Airport.

"Nicky said Killer is coming - she talked to him on the phone. Tom, Martin and Dave will probably be there, too."

There were a few more, and the round of introductions dragged on. First Hans and Reiner were kissed on both cheeks by Tom, then by his girlfriend Sophia and his friend Nikos and many, many others.