Chapter 11: Secret lair

It hadn't been long since the incident at the Fire Temple. But neither has it stood in the way of Pythor's ambition, or halted Skales' desire to support him. Especially not with their goal so close to completion.

"You mind telling me what we're doing out here?" Skales asked, while calmly slithering through the sand.

"Patience, number two, patience! We'll be there soon enough, so don't get too worked up." Pythor replied, who was at the front, with Skales following behind him.

They were currently in the middle of the Sea of Sand, far away from anything, even Ouroboros. A surface dweller might have suffered under the blazing sun and smoldering sand, but for a Serpentine, it was the perfect climate to be in. But even then, it did little to make the act of traveling through a desert, surrounded by nothing, less tedious. Pythor had nevertheless made it abundantly clear that it was of utmost importance that Skales traveled with him. Apparently, he had something to show him.

It had been only a couple of days since their expedition to the Fire Temple, searching for the Fangblade. While they had been caught by surprise by the meddlesome ninja and forced to retreat, they had still succeeded in their mission. After the volcano had erupted, Pythor together with a few Venomari managed to find the blade. It had been flowing down the mountain with a stream of lava, but as Pythor had predicted, it didn't leave a single mark on the Fangblade. Which meant that they now had three of the four Fangblades in their possession. And yet, they still haven't gone after the final one.

"I understand that thisss matter is of utmost importance...but I ssstill don't understand, why are we not sssearching for the final Fangblade?" The Hypnobrai asked.

In truth, their activity after finding the Fangblade had drastically decreased. To the point that Skales had heard a few Serpentine were sneaking off to other parts of Ninjago, to entertain themselves. Still, they had only been the ones without anything to do. A large number had been given mysterious orders and disappeared, but this was with Pythor's permission. Even the other Generals were nowhere to be seen. Something was going on, something Skales had yet to learn of. He could only hope that whatever place Pythor was taking him to had something to do with it.

"Why the rush! It isn't going anywhere." The Anacondrai cheekly answered, to Skales' surprise.

"No, not unlesss the ninja getsss to it before usss!"

"My dear Skales, I know we have had a few bad run-ins with the ninja when it comes to the Fangblades. But the first time I calculated to have been incidental, the second time because of unfortunate circumstances, and finally, the third, because they tracked us. Do you know what that means?" Explained Pythor, before looking back at Skales and waiting for a response.

"...That they have never known where the Fangblades are?"

"Exactly!" Pythor exclaimed, though it was hard to tell if it really was Skales he was proud of, or his own intellect.

"Which also means that they haven't got the faintest clue where the last one is located. And trust me, according to the map, not a single living soul will be able to guess it!"

"Where is it then?"

Pythor looked at Skales with a slightly smug look.

"Don't you worry your silly little head about that. Just know that it gives us plenty of time to finish my latest project."

"Your project?!" Skales said surprised.

"Yes. Oh, speaking of which, we're here." Pythor stated, turning his gaze to a pile of rocks, sitting at the top of a dune.

He slithered over to it, with Skales following cautiously behind him. Until at least he realized that it was truly just a bunch of rocks. Skales was about to call him out when Pythor made his way over to them. Standing in front of a round, but flat stone, he curled his tail around it and pulled. To the Hypnobrai's surprise, the rock gave in easily. But even more, it seemed to be nothing but a cover. For beneath, there was a tunnel, with a faint, orange light emanating from within.