★ | a tale of time

Start from the beginning

In fact they never did. They used to come once in a while, attack where the discussions are held, and leave simply, without causing any unnecessary harm to anything or anyone. 

Her silence was enough to make him smile. "I sense a silent protest then." Seeing him smile so enchantingly made Y/N smile on her own. "If the king can't understand the legends of fox or god mountains, then the skulks have every right to protest too. We the commoners are indebted to them anyways." He was right.

The legends of nine tailed fox, the former spirit of God of the mountain, Baekdu- daegan, the one their kingdom resides, is the guardian, but the king have let this one to take over by his pathetic ego, insulting the holy spirits, now causing the foxes to attack every often.

"I noticed something though." Y/N mumbled when Sunoo looked up in her eyes, the same eyes which took his heart and made it hers the second they met once ago. "How come you're always nowhere to be found whenever the foxes attack us?" She asked curiously, scooting to his side, making Sunoo contemplate between her suspicion and of how adorable she looks. 

Ignoring her question, he took her palm in his, tracing across the destiny lines, hopefully the one which he wanted to be a part of with her, with his soft fingertips, making her giggle because of the gentle touch. "Do you really have to continue the mastery of the sword?" His expressions twitching from the worry he kept stored only for her, "I want to serve the nation, Sunoo." He sadly smiled knowing how no importance her determination was credited for in the society, "Even if they aren't allowing girls in soldiering!?" His voice held a sense of irritation, since being the commander in chief himself, he could do nothing but to teach his own lover in secrecy. That's how messed up the system's beliefs were.

"I can at least fight like you, proudly for our people when the time calls." She said in an assuring tone, beaming a soft smile at him, "What if the time calls to stand up against me? Will you?" He asked, his heart heavy even from thinking about the possible future he was able to predict.

Y/N felt pure confusion but his gloomy aura wasn't helping her either, "Sunoo you're not only the person I love the most, but you're my teacher, you think I can stand against you?" Her voice sounded genuine and he knew she could never, but he was well aware of how honest she is to the kingdom for sure, giving up her life if asked to.

"But if I'm against our people, against you?" He asked with a heavy heart, not wanting to stretch the conversation further, but at the same time the fear of this happening in the near future was valid and he knew it unwillingly. 

"If it ever were to happen and I have to make a cruel choice, then I'll choose you. I know losing you would be worse than losing myself or my pride." Y/N said with a smile but Sunoo wasn't able to replicate it. His heart skipped a beat. Is that how easy it is for her to say she'll give up on herself, her beliefs and values for him? "You can't do that."

Was all he could speak in a cracked voice, feeling guilty of tricking her somewhere. Clearly Y/N felt nothing but confusion and she could surely sense something was off, but all she could think at this moment was to reassure him.

"Sunoo, if I end up miserable either way, I want us to be miserable together. If we must sink into the depth of misery, I'd gladly do so with you." And with that she hugged him tight, none of them knew how the situation would fall. Since the end of the kingdom was final. The king no doubt had angered the spirit god already, but Sunoo's bombing questions of making choices was making all this harder.

The lovers were in each other's embrace, suddenly the time flowing slowly, as if only for them, but then the clouds started darkening with strong winds, unbearable to stand against. As if something flicked, Sunoo got up making Y/N confused, her knee still in ache, she stood up. "Is something there?" 

"I need you to trust me over one thing, whatever happens just so you know I love you, since it could be the last time we'll meet." Sunoo spoke up in an impatient manner, and none of the words seemed like a light hearted joke, he was serious indeed.

"What do you mean by the last time?" She asked, a flush of negative thoughts flooding her, making her chest heavy, "I can't tell you everything, I'm sorry love. Just know that I love you and I can never ever deceive you, please remember that and take care." Sunoo said while planting a kiss on her forehead, which she responded by closing her eyes off, taking the last meet in her heart.

He smiled, his hand still not wanting to leave the feeling of caressing his lover's soft cheeks but upon feeling another presence from miles apart, his gaze sharpened and before bidding his farewell he said, "I hope to meet you soon but in my embrace again next time Y/Nah." 

Y/N stood there frozen, with the weather worsening by every passing second, surprisingly still not strong enough to make her move. Her heart ached at Sunoo's last glance she got to witness before he left, her mind knitting various negative thoughts over the fact that he addressed her by her name, which he never prefers to willingly. What could get so bad in the near future that she has to make a choice where he's himself not sure if she will be able to choose him or not?

to be continued....