𝟜𝟛 - ( 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐭 𝐲𝐞𝐭 )

february 14th,
12:02pm,
school canteen
part 4 of last chapter
_________________________________matt enters the cafeteria and immediately makes eye contact with leilani, who was still sitting the same, only holding her phone now.

matt returns to his earlier seat which was across from leilani. the rest was having a conversation so they didn't realize all this happening.

leilani sits up, leaning on her elbows as she holds intense eye contact with matt. but the tension was totally different now.

the air around them was now filled with only guilt and love. leilani nods her head slightly to tell matt to start explaining.

"y'know, since we became friends, I've realized that's not all that we are." weird and confusing way to start explaining, great.

"we're a different kind of best friends. but not friends with benefits or all that shit. we have something real, leila." matt speaks softly and quietly so that the rest didn't hear.

"I've known it from the start. we'll always come back to each other, no matter what's in the way. I don't believe in soulmates or something, but I believe that we're meant to be." matt confesses.

matt goes silent as a way of saying leilani can talk now.

"you're right." she mumbles, "and i hate it." leilani speaks and matt frowns confused.

"I hate the way you're always there for me, I hate the way you're so nice to me, I hate the fact that we moved in together, I hate the way that I love you and your brothers more than myself, I hate the way that I'm more myself with you than with anyone else, I hate the way you're so nice to me even when I don't deserve it, I hate the way you'll do anything for me," leilani goes on.

"I hate the way I don't hate you."

"what do you mean?" matt asks. "when I grow too close with someone, I always overshare. it's one of my weaknesses." leilani confesses.

"I trust people too fast." leilani shakes her head. "and I can't pick out the right people to trust." leilani mumbles.

"but it looks like I've found my match. the person I trust, the person I love with my whole heart and even more, the person I like being around." leilani speaks.

"who?" matt asks. "you, dumbass." leilani mutters with a soft smile, causing matt to smile back.

"I've been told that I talk too much a lot. so I stopped taking. people have told me I'm too fat. so I stopped eating. people told me I trust people to fast. so I stopped trusting people." leilani finishes her explanation.

matt totally understands what she means. "have you noticed how none of us." with us, he's talking about him, nick and chris, "has ever said anything like that?" matt asks.

"because we care about you. all in different ways, but we do." matt says and leilani sighs.

"do you know how many times I've heard that too?" leilani sighs and matt nods.

"you've heard it a lot, but we've proved it." matt says and leilani replays the times in her head where the triplets were the only people she had.

then she comes to a very heartbreaking conclusion.

she doesn't have such memories with emma and valerie.