Chapter 9

Leto and Lady Jessica were waiting for me as the first time. But unlike the first meeting, she looked at me with a bit of tenderness, while Leto didn't express any reaction.

Bowing in respect, I handed over the cylinder, not knowing its contents, which worried me at first, I admit. Would it be a poison that, inhaled by all, would cause the end of the Atreides? Or is it a threatening message?

I would never know its contents, as Leto turned his back and walked into the first dark hallway he encountered.

Lady Jessica stretched out her left hand for me to touch her, but my hands, resting on my belly, wanted no other company than myself.

For a few days, I was isolated in a room. I received good food, sleeping comforts, and could see the daylight through the large window.

To my delight, no one died from reading the cylinder, but Lady Jessica did not answer me when I asked what the contents were about. Her speech was only of:

"Leto knows what he's doing."

◈ ━━━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━━━ ◈

The news that Rautha was on Arrakian soil took me by storm, when two handmaidens whispered as they placed the tray with the meal on the table in the room where I was.

"Rautha?" I asked.

"Yes." That Lady Jessica doesn't know that we told you this.

"Where is he?"

"Preparing to enter the arena and finally duel the Emperor's son."

"Where is he?" I repeated and they looked at each other.

"In a room, at the take-off and landing field. Women are not allowed in there."

"How do I get there?"

"We can't help it." One said, but the other's eyes widened, I don't know if from euphoria or dread.

"I can take you there."

"Have you lost your mind?" The first nudged the second. "You can't do that."

"She's the man's wife. She has that right."

"Take me, please!" I begged.

"Soon the duel will take place. It is possible that by the time he arrives, he has already left."

"I need to try."

◈ ━━━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━━━ ◈

We hurried along, hiding at the edges of the corridors, looking for a way to avoid detection.

"There!" She pointed to a golden door. "Open it and you'll enter the isolation field. There are several doors. In one of them, your husband must be."

"Do I need to open them all?"

"I don't know which one he's in. But possibly, the locked one, if he's still waiting for the duel."

"If he's not?"

"The door will be open."

She said goodbye and disappeared after me. My steps became steady, and I made my way confidently to the door. I opened it fearlessly and faced a cold, dark hallway. I went through all the doors. Open. Rautha was already making his way to the arena. There was nothing else to do.

◈ ━━━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━━━ ◈

I ran towards the arena.

A plethora of men and women cheered Paul and cursed Rautha. I passed through an entrance, for my purpose was not to sit back and enjoy the instant death of my husband when he was stabbed by Paul.

I definitely had a plan. A stupid plan, but a plan.

Which life was worth more?

Mine?

Not at all.

If this wasn't about me or him, but the Empire, it was time to act.

Through a door, I had easy access to the base of the arena. Above, far away from any intervention, I saw Leto and Lady Jessica on a huge balcony, waiting for the show. But, Leto's eyes caught the erratic movement at the entrance to the arena. Mine, in this case. I couldn't see his expression, but his face turned towards me, telling that guards would advance towards me, preventing me from acting.

In the middle of the arena, Paul and Rautha stood in position. I didn't have much time to stop them.

Dust and heat circulated from their feet to their heads. I ran, but my feet, in shoes with no grip, sank into the soft sand.

The adrenaline of the moment made it impossible for Rautha to notice my presence, or for Paul to sense that I was approaching.

Both armed with centuries-old daggers, valuable gifts from their respective houses, they advanced in the duel. Paul struck Rautha's left arm and he groaned and laughed. Rautha, in turn, plunged the dagger into Paul's right thigh, who staggered but soon pulled himself together.

Rautha struck Paul again, this time in the right chest, at the base of the shoulder. The beige sand was splattered by imperial blood as Paul fell. But it wasn't over.

Paul drew a second dagger from its scabbard, while Rautha turned to claim his victory before Leto, bowing to House Atreides.

Paul would stab Rautha in the back, cowardly. I quickened my steps. Paul got up slowly, due to his wound, a stroke of luck in my cause, but with fury in his eyes, he hurried on. I didn't have time to think. Behind me, Leto's guards ran with guns pointed at my head.

"Rautha!" I shouted and he turned around immediately.

"Ava?" He frowned and there was no more time. My body jutted out in front of Rautha and Paul's dagger pierced my chest.

Silence fell over the stands, over the guards, over Paul, but Rautha's screams were heard as far as they could.

"Ava! Ava!" He took me in his arms.

I saw Paul walking backwards and then running to get away from possible punishment. But who would be punished for killing a benedita?

"Ava! What did you do?" Rautha touched the bloody wound.

"This isn't about you or me. That's about the Empire, isn't it?"

"You carry our child. I asked you to be submissive, but not in this way."

"You, alive, are worth more. You, alive, can marry and have more children. I destroyed the prophecy, didn't I? I fulfilled my mission, somehow."

"No! You have not fulfilled your mission."

"Yes, I'm sure." My eyes felt heavy. The heat I felt gave way to an enormous cold. Rautha picked me up and ran out of the arena. I felt like the first time I was in his arms, but I wasn't afraid this time. I was safe in his hands.

"Make way!" He screamed, running. The guards cleared the way for him to get to a doctor and try to save my life. Which I surely believed without in vain.