Chapter 5

The eyelids opened slowly. Women without hair and eyebrows, with black eyes and skin as pale as death, looked at me with some concern. Or is it admiration?

The light wasn't intense, but enough to see I was in a room. I was lying on a bed, grey fabrics, no furniture around. Only four women. Two with trays in their hands, the others with folded fabrics.

"Where am I?" I tried to get up. One who was carrying fabrics, handed them to the other and approached, leaning over, and pushing me so that I remained lying down.

"He'll visit you soon."

"He?" I gasped. "Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, the monster." Gradually, my conscience took its place, and I remembered what had happened.

"You're dressed and we'll bring you the meal soon." She saluted me simply, and in the blink of an eye, two steel straps closed around my wrists.

Was I trapped?

I breathed hurriedly, as if my life depended on every dose of air I threw out of my nostrils.

"Let me go!" I snorted, but in an orderly and silent line, they were leaving the room.

I held my head high. The empty room. My voice echoed off the walls, ricocheted off my ears, and I lost the will to keep asking them to let me go.

It was in vain. The fear of death came back to haunt me. Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen would soon emerge.

How would I be killed?

I didn't know how he applied his sinister means of annihilation, nor would it be correct to know, as it would make me even more nervous.

If I pretended to be asleep? Would he spare my life for a few minutes?

"No! Don't be a coward, Ava! Weren't you the one who asked me to die before entering the palace?" I sighed and the door creaked.

In the life-sustaining instinct, I closed my eyes.

The steps.

Damn steps! I recognized his way to walk. It was Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.

"I know you're awake, Shirah. Don't think I'm naive. There's heartbeat detector and you're almost letting your heart out of your body. You may be doing everything but sleeping."

The icy steel handles opened. But I sustained the lie.

"You look ridiculous like that. Stand up!"

I remained silent, but Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen was unwilling to cooperate.

"Ava Shirah, if you don't open your eyes..." he blurted out the words slowly. "I'll be forced to take you in my arms. I don't think it was a good experience for you."

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling.

The veil.

I was without the veil.

Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen broke the rules imposed by the Sisterhood. This was an insult to our customs.

Well, who cared?

"My veil!" I blinked and kept my eyes fixed on the ceiling.

"Ah! The veil! That useless white thing. Could you see something in front of your eyes? I suspect not."

"I need the veil. You can't see me like that."

"You're not made of exotic jewels so that you dazzle me in your presence, Ava Shirah. Now, stop acting like a child, stand up and face me. Or are you afraid to see how handsome your fiancé is?"