Chapter X - Respect.

Start from the beginning

"What?" Kamila asked.

Eventually he hesitated and said, "so... you think that's gonna give you some respect? I mean, being told by a founding member of the JLA is big... it'll totally help you get in easier too..."

Kamila grinned, "I didn't really think of it like that! Holy shit- Roy you could be totally right!"

The archer furrowed his brows as if he got an idea, then smirked. "I've got some intel about a kidnapping... a shadow's job. You know about Dr. Roquette, right?"

ROY WILLIAM HARPER was determined to be a hero. To be respected. For people to see him in uniform and recognize him as his own person. Not a sidekick to Green Arrow. Not a second thought. Not Speedy.

He wanted to be Red Arrow.

As he listened to Kamila's explanation, he kept picking up on all those things he has been craving for what felt like years now.

Respect.

Not a sidekick.

My own hero.

Trust.

Respect.

The Justice League.

My own identity.

Respect.

Not just a second thought.

Respect.

Respect.

Respect.

Respect.

That's all he's wanted since he stormed out of the Hall of Justice. He wanted to be respected. He wants to prove himself and gain their respect. He didn't know why. He wasn't the type of person to thrive off of constant validation. He didn't care if the Justice League praised-

He didn't care if-

He didn't care-

He-

He shook his head.

He wanted them to respect him. He wanted the Justice League to take one look at his costume, his weaponry, his skills and think Him. He will join our ranks. He is the next generation of heroes.

Roy let himself wonder through his thoughts. What if sticking with the team would've gotten him that respect. What if he ruined his chances by walking away.

What if they don't even consider him?

What if they think he's in the wrong for walking out?

What if they-

What if-

What-

"What?" Kamila asked next to him, snapping him out of his thoughts.

He snapped out of his looping state, as if it never happened.

⚡︎

KAMILA 'ASTRA' CARTER was determined to be a hero. To be respected. For people to see her in uniform and recognize her as Astra. Not just a sidekick, but as the first sidekick. Not just another hero, but the youngest heroine to ever fight crime. She wanted to be known as Astra.

Since Roy had walked out of the Hall and she caught up with him shortly after, she kept thinking about how she could get everything she's been craving since she was eight. Since she was twelve. Since she was thirteen.

That respect for the public, from going out on her own.

That trust people could put in her, knowing she was responsible enough to be trusted.

Not just a second thought, pushed away when a different hero stepped up.

Not just a girl in over her head, told by some intoxicated thugs to stop while she's ahead.

She wanted the Justice League to see her efforts and improvement.

She didn't care for their respect, but she knows she earned it. She didn't care for it... But... sometimes she wanted them to take one look at her suit, her powers, her determination, her skill and think Her. She is going to join us one day. She is the start of a new generation.

Kamila let herself space out as she ran along roof tops to Roy's appointment. Lost in thought. What if leaving with Roy would've given her that respect? What if staying with the league just proved that she wouldn't be able to do this in her own?

What if she really is in over her head?

She shook her head as she climbed though Roy's Kitchen window.

A/N

Word Count: 1298

Short asf chapter and ik I could've just merged with the next EP, but I need to be so fucking clear with Kam and Roy's parallels so this got its own chapter.

That's all.

Infiltrator is next <3