#2 home - 2

Sorry for the little hiccup there, we're back to updating every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday now! This is the end of Chapter 2!

--

Eight diverted his gaze to the furnishings of the apartment around them. The cramped kitchenette formed a U-shape directly to their left, which consisted of a microwave, a two-burner stove, and a toaster, along with an assortment of cabinets. In front of them was the living room—or really more of a living area, not exactly large enough to be considered a room on its own. There was a small sofa pushed against the right wall that probably couldn't hold more than two people. It faced a TV, but the screen was currently black. An end table holding an unfinished glass of water completed the area. A door on the left between the kitchen and the TV seemed to contain a closet, and there were two doors on the right. Three eyed the nearest of them.

"Well, it's getting late, and you've had a rough day." He let out a heavy sigh. "Well, we both have. Here, I'll get the bed ready for you."

Three led Eight through the door into the bedroom. The room was dark, but Eight could still see pretty well by the moonlight shining through the window on the left wall. Aside from a dresser and a stray Wet Floor poster, the room was mostly undecorated. Oh, and there was one other thing.

"I like the... the rainbow," Eight murmured, looking at the colorful banner in admiration. "It's pretty, like in the sky."

There's face turned red, and he looked embarrassed. He stared at a spot near Eight's knees as he mumbled, "Oh right... forgot about that, haha... you probably don't even know what it means, do you?"

"It happens when the light makes pretty colors in the sky after rain, yes? I did see one two days before. Marina explained me them."

Three had gotten down on his knees and was pulling something out from underneath the bed. "Yeah, we'll go with that. Let me just... here, got it." He pulled out what looked like a few extra blankets and tossed them on the floor, patting it a little but not making much effort to flatten them.

"What are you doing?" Eight asked curiously. He hadn't really seen blankets before, but he knew that they made you warm. Why was Three putting them on the ground?

"Oh, don't worry about me. Just go ahead and get up here." He patted the bed.

Laying on a bed was a totally new experience for Eight. When he tried to climb on, he faltered as the bed gave under the pressure of his hand. He tried pushing on it a few times curiously before he hoisted himself over so he could lay down on it. "Gousho... it is so... squish!"

That got a little laugh out of Three. "Yeah, that's what beds are for. I guess you haven't really slept on a bed before, have you? This will be a lot more comfortable than the ground."

It felt strange how his body was sinking into the mattress, but he supposed it did feel sort of nice. Kind of like sitting on the cushioned seats on the Deepsea Metro.

Three stood up and moved to the dresser, where he opened one of the drawers and pulled out a lump of clothes. Eight crawled over and sat on the edge of the bed to watch Three, trying to figure out what he was doing. "What are thats?"

Three turned toward Eight, looking a little startled. "Um... clothes? Oh, I guess all you've ever worn is..." Three's eyes drifted to Eight's midriff, before he quickly looked away. "...whatever that is. Anyway, I'll get you some clothes after I change—don't watch."

Eight immediately turned away. "O-Oh, I'm sorry!"

"No, it's fine! Just don't watch while I'm changing, then you can look again."