Chapter 1: Liora in the City

I am Liora, the first saintess candidate of Pralli. My hair looks like spun gold in this outside light, and my eyes shine with light, like emeralds in the sun. The way a saintess should be. I wear a set of lightweight white robes, embroidered with gold, that makes me look radiant in the warm Spanish sunlight, a golden crucifix at my throat, visible to the people.

I stretch my hand down to a poor street child, with scars across his face. They look like they came a long time ago, but have split open recently, so dark, unsettled blood, like a demon's run down his sobbing face. He clutches at the makeshift wooden crucifix tied around his neck with half-shredded cross.

"Help me, it's hurting!" He kneels before me, proffering the cross, tears streaked with blood running down his face.

"My child, may God have mercy on the wretched.." I sprinkle holy water on his face without touching him, a saintess must never touch the infected.

"Thank you, thank you, my lady." He's crying even harder now, and a part of my heart feels sorry for him. A very small part.

I peer over at Silvera. Her black hair is like tar compared to the pretty, sandstone high street. There are barely any people gathered around her, compared to the crowd pleading for me. I smirk, suppressing it inside, as I see people stare at her, asking silently what she is doing here.

She is the second saintess candidate, and the least popular one. The only reason she's here at all is because she performed a miracle. Her skin is the rich coulor of an olive tree, and her large eyes are grey, but bright in the sun like silver, matching the details of her robes. Beautiful for a human, but nothing compared to my otherworldly beauty that grabs these people's heartstrings and convinces them I'm chosen and to be trusted.

But I can 'perform' miracles too. Because I am not human, I am a witch. A hybrid, of Forest and Earth, a useful combination. Forest witches can summon and have familiars, and Earth witches can make potions, useful little tricks that disguise me as a true saintess. Fortunately, being a Forest witch has meant I have watered down the obvious Earth witch traits that would have betrayed me, like having warts, moles, or multicolored skin.

Like that 'Holy water' it was a potion of healing. That should get rid of the boy's illness. In a few days it will be reported as another miracle, and my reputation will go up, and I'm one step closer to being declared the one and only saintess in just a few months.

I smile graciously as Silvera meets her eye. I love that look of pleading. Wishing for me to do something. I feel pitied, so I decide to do something. I raise my hands, my best innocent saintess smile on as I gesture towards Silvera.

"Citizens of Pralli, as your saintess, I tell you, Candidate Silvera will guide the blissful hand of God to you, to relive you of your sins." I smile benevolently, knowing exactly what I said.

Your Saintess. Candidate Silvera.

Silvera still smiles gracefully, as I go back to doing my job. A sprinkle of potion here, a few pre-selected words there, a coy smile of knowing all. The perfect saintess, outshining the mere human beside me.

The guards from the church walk around, securing the safety of the saintess candidates, their white clothes glowing though fainter than mine in the sun. The warm scent of fruits and other offerings travel through the street.

Some man offers me bread, and I know I'm not supposed to eat in front of people, but I can leave the offerings of ants alone. I take a piece, and smile graciously as he bows and backs away. I pass it to a guard who puts it in a basket otherwise heavy with breads.

The church here is successful, the people of this city as religious as any, but in Pralli, it is a tradition of this city to always have a saintess of the church, in charge of the city, second only to the king, but he leaves well enough alone, concerned with the new king across the channel, who is the latest in the line of monarchs of England who disobey the Catholic Church.

Out of my power... For now.

My thoughts are disturbed by the clatter of hooves sounding through the street, like a tempo of wild drums through the city. I know exactly who it is, and I have been waiting for his return, even now, as a smile creeps across my face.